XV. New Years Kisses

It was December 31st and Barty and Regulus were down in the kitchens grabbing snacks for theirs and Pandoras New Years sleepover.

Regulus had been quieter and Barty was growing confused. The black spent more time in his dorm then usual. He was also moodier and snappy.

Barty was sitting at one of the tables with his feet kicked up on the table. He was sipping his pumpkin juice that one of the house elves had brought him and staring at Regulus.

The Gryffindor was gathering snacks with the house elves and Barty smiled at the fact that Regulus was having conversations with them and laughing when the house elves told him jokes. He had never realized how much Regulus liked house elves until now.

Regulus said goodbye to the house elves and thanked them for their help before walking over to Barty with a bowl of snacks and a couple drinks in his arms. "Let's go." Regulus sighed. He sounded annoyed and Barty raised a confused eyebrow before following the Black out of the kitchens and down the corridor.

The walk was awkward. Both boys didn't know when things became so awkward between them. Regulus looked at his feet before saying the thing he had been wanting to ask for weeks. "So when did you and Perkins start dating?"

Barty spit out the last of his pumpkin juice and vanished his cup before staring up at Regulus with wide eyes. "You saw that?!"

"Mhm." Regulus confirmed. "So since when?"

Barty just laughed. "Reg, me and Esmond aren't dating. He was just trying to figure out his sexuality, but how much did you know hear."

Regulus gave him a confused look. "I just saw you guys kissing, why?"

Barty had to force back the sigh of relief. "Oh um no reason. No reason at all."

Regulus was about to respond when he saw James walking towards them. "Hey James!" He smiled.

Barty had to fight the urge to roll his eyes. "Hey Reg!" James grinned.

Regulus made eye contact with Barty before standing on his tiptoes and connecting his and James's lips into a slow kiss. Barty looked away and tried to ignore the pain in his chest. At moments like this it felt jealous could just about swallow him whole.

This has happened a lot in the last two weeks and Barty was starting to feel like Regulus was almost doing it on purpose, but that was probably just him overthinking. James was the first to pull away and he sent a look to Barty that he couldn't quite identify. James felt bad for Barty, but he also wasn't going to break up with Regulus just because Barty liked him.

"So what are you guys doing tonight?" James asked.

"Oh we are just going to hang out in Barty's dorm with Pandora and possibly Nott." Reggie explained.

"Too bad I won't get to kiss you at midnight." James frowned.

"You can come hang out with us!" Regulus smiled.

James saw how Barty's face fell at that statement so he did what he felt was right. "No it's fine. Go have fun with your friends. I'll be fine and maybe I can get a kiss from Pete." James stated, saying the last part jokingly.

Regulus laughed and Barty fought back the smile threatening to appear on his lips. Regulus gave James a quick kiss goodbye before turning to Barty. "Ready to go?"

Barty nodded. "Yep."

They both said goodbye to James before heading to the Slytherin common rooms. Regulus didn't really have to sneak in considering it was break and the teachers didn't really care and nor did the few students that stayed.