XXVI. Family Ball

The train had arrived in the station and students were now piling out of the train

The train had arrived in the station and students were now piling out of the train. Regulus was nervous and scared of what was going to happen. Pandora and Regulus were packing their stuff up. Suddenly James peaked his head into their compartment. "You ready to go, Reggie?"

"I'm not coming home with you."

James gave him a confused look. "To Pandora's then?"

Regulus shook his head. "I'm going home. With Sirius."

"Why?! Are you trying to get killed?!" Regulus shrugged and James gave him a disgusted look. "You better not come back with a mark, you're better than that."

James left and Pandora pulled Regulus into a hug which confused him. "What? Why are you hugging me?"

"Because you are going back home your abusive parents and I can tell you are a nervous wreck."

He nodded. "Thanks, but I have to go before they leave without me."

She nodded. "Okay, just please come to my place if they do something to you. The goal is to find out information, not to harm you."

"I will, I promise."

He left the compartment and found Sirius leaving his as well so he walked over to him. "Hey Reg."

"I'm coming home with you." He blurted out.

Sirius shook his head quickly. "What?! No you are not!"

"Yes, I am. Now lets go." Regulus said as he started walking away.

"You are going to get me killed Reggie." Sirius muttered under his breath.

***

Walburga and Orion did not look excited at all when they saw Regulus next to Sirius. "What are you doing here you filthy blood traitor?" Walburga snarled.

"Over these past few months my views have changed thanks to my friend, Barty, and I want to come home and get the mark." Regulus lied.

"We'll deal with this later, people are staring." She replied coldly and she grabbed his hand harshly and apparated to 12 Grimmuald Place, which Regulus had not missed one bit. Well, besides Kreacher obviously. "There is a ball tomorrow and meeting. If you prove yourself worthy at those you can stay and get the mark.

Regulus nodded. "Yes, mother."

Their parents left and Sirius spoke. "Barty is going to kill you."

"Wouldn't be surprised since he's a fucking hypocrite now."

"Says you." Sirius sneered and Regulus shot him the deadliest glare before leaving the room.

***

Regulus was styling his hair when he heard his mothers voice from downstairs. "REGULUS HURRY UP AND YOU BETTER LOOK PRESENTABLE!"

He rolled his eyes and walked downstairs where the four blacks apparated to the Lestrange manor. Orion knocked and Bellatrix was the one to open it.  "Hello guys!" She spotted Regulus. "What is he doing here?" She sneered.

"Proving himself." Walburga said and she pushed him forward into the manor. Most people stopped what they were doing to see who had just arrived and they gasped when they saw Regulus.

Regulus spotted Barty talking to a black haired girl,that was wearing a short green dress, black jewelry, and heals, in the corner of the room. Barty was wearing creme colored suit, black dress shoes, and was holding a glass of what was most likely fire whisky. His jaw dropped when he saw Regulus. 

"Will you excuse me for a moment." Barty said before walking forward, grabbing Regulus by the shirt, and dragging him into a closet down the hall. "What are you doing here?!"

"I'm getting the dark mark." He answered.

"Are you insane?! They are going to kill you!"

"Since when do you care whether I die?" Regulus snapped and Barty frowned. Both were trying to ignore the location they were at, but the tension that was forming was making it hard.

Barty quickly let go of Regulus's shirt that he didn't realize he was still holding. "I'm sorry, Reg. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it. I was just stressed and I-."

"Its okay."

"No, I shouldn't have said that."

"Barty."

"-I just really liked you and was scared they would find out-.'

"Barty."

"I'm sorry for every th-."

"BARTY!" Regulus yelled, desperately still trying to get his attention. Barty stopped and looked at him. "Just shut up and kiss me you idiot." Barty froze and Regulus cleared his throat awkwardly, surprised at the words that had just came out of his own mouth. "Sorry I-."

Before he knew it he was pushed against a wall and Barty's lips were on his. He gasped slightly in shock, but he kissed back. Barty had his hands on Regulus's waist and his knee between Regulus's legs to keep him pinned against the wall. Regulus's hands were tangled in Barty's hair  and he was still trying to process the intensity of the kiss. The kiss was messy and hungry. Barty was the first to pull away and he smirked and laughed slightly when he saw Regulus's flustered state.

"Fuck off," Regulus muttered. "I really have a problem of kissing other boys while dating someone, don't I?"

"Apparently. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that just because you told me to."

"It's fine, but we probably shouldn't do that again... it was just a mistake."

Barty ignored the pang in his chest and put on a fake smile. "Yeah, definitely. I'm sorry if I messed up things with you and Wise."

Regulus shook his head. "No it's okay, I just have to talk to him now."

"Okay, that's good."

"Well I should probably get back out there before my parents come looking for me." Regulus explained. "It would be hard to explain this to them without it resulting in me getting the cruciatus curse used on me tonight."

They both stepped out of the closet and walked back to everyone else where Barty held out his hand. "Shall we?" Barty asked in a fancy voice.

Regulus breathed a laugh before smiling and taking Barty's hand in his. "We shall." He said.

Barty dragged Regulus to the middle of the floor and spun him around once. They danced for awhile until Sirius came over to them. "See you two made up." He said, his tone dry.

"What do you want?" Regulus asked, glaring at him.

"Coming to talk to my best mate and to tell you both to learn how to dance platonically and not like you want to make out in the closet."

Regulus let out a scoff. "We do not!"

"You do too!" Sirius yelled, shoving him slightly.

"Do not!" Regulus yelled, shoving him back.

"Do too!" Sirius yelled, shoving him again.

Regulus went to shove Sirius again and Barty stepped in between them. "Okay, ladies! Ladies! Let's play nice considering we are at a party with your amazing family members." Barty said.

"Just trying to protect you both." Sirius said before walking away.

"Why is he such a dick now?" Regulus asked and Barty shrugged.

"Probably cause he can't shag Lupin anymore." Barty smirked and Regulus laughed.

"Probably."