An Unlikely Duo

A few weeks later

Kelly sat at the squad table with his phone pressed against his ear, a look of annoyance on his face.

"Yes, I understand...yeah...thanks for letting me know, I'll get it taken care of."

About this time Sadie walks by, backpack slung over her shoulder, just getting back from school.

"Sadie!"

She froze in her spot, looking over her shoulder as Kelly walked up behind her.

"Care to explain to me why I just got a call from your school about you not doing your work?"

"I am doing my work! I'm just a little behind."

"So behind that you're failing two classes?"

"Kelly can we not do this here?!"

She snapped and walked into the firehouse.

"What's up kelly?"
Herman asked as an unhappy Kelly followed in behind her and made his way to the coffee pot.

"Got a call from her school, shes not doing her homework, shes failing two classes. I try to talk to her but she dosent want to listen."

"Kelly, the kid has been through a lot here recently."

"Yeah, I know Herman"

"So forgive me for what I'm about to do..."

He pats kelly on the shoulder and turns his attention to Sadie, Kelly cocks an eye brow and turns around to watch.

"Sadie Quinn Severide! "

She looked up at him from her spot on the couch next to Mouch, eyes wide.

"Get your school things! Put your rear end in that chair!"

pointing to a seat at the table

"And do your homework!"

"But-"

"No buts!....Now young lady!"

Everyone stared as Herman went full dad mode on her, but she listened. She looked at Kelly who just smirked and shrugged his shoulders.

A while later Herman walked back into the commons and saw Sadie who was still working.

He made his way over and sat down beside her.

"Whatcha workin on kid?"

"Algebra" she muttered

"Algebra huh? I never understood why they put letters with numbers...hey Sadie?"

She stopped, looking over at him

"I'm sorry for digging into you earlier, but you need to do your schoolwork."

"I know"

"And you also need to listen to your brother. I know he's not a parent, but he just wants what's best for you. We all do. Here at Firehouse 51 we're all family and we care about you. And if that means giving you a kick in the pants every once in a while I will, you got it?"

"Yeah I got it"

"Alright then."

He goes to get up, but is stopped by her arms wrapping around him.

"Thanks Herman"

"No problem"

He said as he patted her on the back before he stood up.