Gut Check

Author's note: I'm so sorry this took a couple of days, but I ran into some serious writer's block. Hopefully I have solved it and you will enjoy! 😁
------------------‐------------

The next morning at school Sadie was walking through the crowded hallway on her way to Chemistry class when Scarlett O'Malley appeared in front of her, blocking her path.

"Move"

Sadie said flatly, seeing as she really wasn't in the mood to deal with her. The stress of everything lately has been building and her whole life and routine has been thrown off.

"What's wrong Severdie? Are we homesick?"

"What are you talking about O'Malley?"

"You, I mean being in foster care has to be rough. Away from your only family?"

Sadie was confused, she hadn't told anyone her situation, not even Collin.
As far as she knew the only person privy to that information was her school counselor.

"How did you-?"

A teacher came between them

"Move it along ladies, get to class."

Scarlett gave her a smartass smirk before walking away. Sadie made her way to class, but was unable to pay attention. She was thinking of ways that Scarlett could have known anything about her personal life.

Later that afternoon Stella walked out to the squad table looking for Kelly, her phone pressed to her ear.

"Yeah Maggie he's right here."

She handed the phone over to her confused fiance.

"Hey Maggie, is everything ok?"

"I just got a call from Ann saying Sadie never came back from school. I was hoping she was there with you."

His brow furrowed as he stood up

"No she's n...."
He stopped talking as he watched his little sister making her way up the apron.

"I got her Mags, she's here. I'll give you a call back."
He abruptly hung up and made his way over to Sadie.

"What the hell are you doing? Get in here!"

He quickly ushered her into the building.

"Hey Sadie's here!"
Gallo announced happily

Kelly frowned and shook his head at him, as he led her to his quarters, Stella followed close behind.

Closing the door he turned his attention back towards the nervous teenager.

"Sades! What the hell?"

"I'm sorry Kelly, but I needed to talk to you."

He took a calming breath, he was happy to see her, but was also afraid the wrong person might have seen her walking into the firehouse.

"What is it?"

"Is there a firefighter named O'Malley you may know, or maybe he's on another shift here at 51?"

"I know there's not one at this house. There's an O'Malley over at 91, but I haven't talked to him in years....why what's this about?"

"There's this girl at school who's been bullying me-"

"You're getting bullied?"
Kelly asked in a protective tone

"Calm down, I can handle myself. Her name is Scarlett O'Malley, somehow she knows that I'm in foster care."

"Well maybe she talked to one of your friends."

"I haven't told anyone, not even Collin."

"Oh you and Collin are still a thing?"
Stella smiled, which was met by a glare from Kelly.
"Sorry"

"Well maybe she found out another way."
He said, exasperated

"Kelly...you always tell me to trust my gut. And my gut is saying something isn't right."