Freefall

"I'm going to miss you so much, Sades!"
Katie said as she hugged her little sister.

"I'm going to miss you too. Try not to wait so long to visit next time?"

"I promise. Come here you."
She hugged Kelly

"It was good to see you Sis."

"You two take care of eachother, you hear me?"

"We will."

Katie gave each of them one last kiss on the cheek before gathering her bags.
Sadie and Kelly watched and waved as Katie made her way into the airport, disappearing into the crowd.
He turned to Sadie

"Lunch?"

"Sushi?"
She asked as they got into the car.

"Gross."

"Burgers then...again."

Kelly pulled away from the curb and out onto the highway.
It was a quiet ride for the most part. Kelly glanced over and saw Sadie fiddling with her fingers and staring out the window. He had come to learn she did this when she was anxious about something.

"Spit it out."
He said as he continued to drive.

"Huh?"

"What's going on in that hard little head of yours?"

She let out an anxious breath.

"Is Stella mad at me?"

"What? No! Why would you think that?"

"Just this whole weekend she's been standoffish. She didn't even want to come with us to drop Katie off."

"She wanted to give you some space to spend time with Katie. And honestly... she was a little worried."

"Worried why?"

Kelly chuckled before he spoke again.
"Sades, you've had so many things happen in your life in the past almost a year now. You lost your mom, you came to live with me and Stella, I almost died, you broke your arm then you almost died-"

"Ok I know but-"

"-She was worried about how another change might have an effect on you."

"But this was a good change."
The car bumped as they started driving over a bridge.

"It was, but you know Stella and how she cares about the people she loves. "

Kelly looked over to Sadie who had a small smile on her face.
It disappeared all of a sudden and turned into a look of freight.

"KELLY WATCH OUT!!"

He looked up in time to see someone step from the curb and into their lane.
He stomped on the brake and swerved to the right.
Sadie braced herself putting both hands against the roof of the car. Kelly had his jaw clenched as he struggled to maintain control with both hands gripping the wheel.
The rear tire of the car clipped the curb causing the car to flip over and slide across the sidewalk and through the railing, sending it freefalling into the river below.