Chapter 31

I picked an errant leaf out of my hair as I slipped my sandals back on. Behind me, I heard Dwayne's zipper as he refastened his jeans.

Smiling, I closed my eyes, remembering the feel of grass tickling my paws, wind ruffling my fur, and Dwayne running next to me.

We'd chased each other up and down the rolling hills, racing through the trees, free beneath the emerging stars.

Turning around, I expected to get another eyeful of his extensive tattoos.

Instead, I found Dwayne bent over the table, one hand rubbing his eyes.

"Dwayne?"

Shaking himself, he stood, "Hmm?"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing – it's nothing."

I frowned at the sound of his lie. "That wasn't nothing."

"Lauren, I'm fine. Just a little tired, that's all."

Concern filled me. "Tired? Did you not sleep well?"

He chuckled. "I didn't sleep at all." He shrugged. "Meetings and pack stuff."

I felt my eyebrows raise. "Wait, you didn't sleep?"

Dwayne nodded.

"So, let me get this straight – you drove five hours this morning, had meetings all afternoon, made dinner, had, what, three glasses of wine, and then shifted and romped through the woods with me?"

He sighed. "I also ran two miles this morning."

"What?"

"I run two miles every morning."

"Oh my god, how are you still upright?"

"I try to take good care of my body – hence the running-"

"Don't dodge the question! How aren't you exhausted?"

Dwayne dropped the pretense. "Lauren, I am exhausted."

I shook my head, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"My mate wanted to shift and go on a run with me. How could I say no?"

My heart melted.

This absolute idiot...

He smiled as he pulled on his shirt. "Look, I swear, I'm fine. Now, let's get you back to the resort so that I can finally crash."

Crash?

My imagination decided to supply me with several visions of Dwayne's car mashed into bits along the roadside, leaving a bloodied Dwayne unconscious or worse...

"Uh, no."

He froze. "No?"

I crossed my arms over my chest. "I am not letting you drive like this."

"Lauren-"

"Absolutely not, Dwayne. I was already uneasy about the whole, 'three glasses of wine' nonsense, but there is no way I'm letting you get behind the wheel in this state."

"I can handle-"

"Dwayne, you're not going anywhere. I'll just let Jess and Tori know that I'm staying over – it's not a big deal. You can drive me back in the morning."

He looked stunned, "If you're sure-"

"I am," I cut him off, moving to pick up our abandoned plates and silverware.

Dwayne collected the remnants and opened the door for me.

Inside, I set the dishes near the sink and began to feel the growing nervousness in my gut.