Chapter One

"You shouldn't have brought her here Duke"

"What would you have me do, let her die there in a dirty alleyway, bleeding out so all the night feeders could rip her apart?"

"Not what I was saying, but bringing her to our home is dangerous, you don't know what threat she will be once she wakes up"

"Let me worry about that"

"Duke, are you sure she is the one that the seer spoke about?"

"Yes, with every fiber of my being, she is the one"

"Well then my brother, you will have your hands full, oh by the way she is waking up"

I kept hearing male voices, but they were too low to understand. I tried to open my eyes, but I could not. My body felt heavy as well. I was about to try to move again but the darkness pulled me back under.

I could feel something wet and cold on my face, I tried to move my hand to get it away, but my arm still felt heavy.

What is going on, why was everything so heavy, it never used to be. Where was I? Did I slip on something going to my car?

I opened my eyes, just a little bit but still at least part of me was working with me.

After a moment of everything being blurry, I could make out the room a bit. There were large dressers, French doors that were open, white lace curtains blowing in.

I could feel a soft warm breeze touch my skin; the walls were a dark red, almost black. Looking to my right a bit I could see a man sitting on the bed looking down at me.

I tried to speak, but nothing came out.

"You're safe, don't try to talk, it will take a few days before your voice will be able to work. I know you must have a ton of questions which I will gladly answer, but just know you are safe, and you should rest" this man said.

His voice was soft and soothing, which should not be a thing. My body was not listening to me, so I had no choice but to just lay in this strange bed, in a room I had never seen.

I watched as he took a washcloth off my head and dipped it into a bowl of what looked like water, he brought it up to my forehead again and placed it there.

I must have been running a fever, the only thing I could think of was why he was putting a cold wet cloth on my forehead.

The darkness came again as my eyes started to shut, I heard him whisper "In time you will see how important you are to me" then the darkness took over fully.