Chapter Thirty-Five

As I reached the beach, I saw Thomas out in the distance playing with my dolphin.

I laughed as I stripped off my dress and ran into the water. As soon as I got to the deeper part, my dolphin jumped over me.

"I've missed you" I said as I rubbed the dolphin's side, he did his chattering, I am sure telling me I have been gone too long.

Thomas came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me, "he's missed you, almost as much as I have" he said, holding me against his chest.

I looked over and saw Duke and Evan sitting under their usual umbrella, Arron stood there with amazement in his eyes.

I forgot he had never seen me in the water interacting with my dolphin. I smiled and waved, letting him know I was safe.

Arron waved back and he turned and headed towards his forest.

I turned in Thomas's arms "what's on the training agenda for today?" I was curious to hear what was in store for me.

"I thought we would work on your underwater skills, and see what else you can communicate with," he said.

"Now that would be amazing" I said, but then it dawned on me, "what other kinds of creatures are you thinking about?"

Thomas laughed "don't worry love, I am right here and so is our dolphin, we won't let anything hurt you."

Oh, I did not like the sound of that.

Thomas dove under the water, as I treaded the water, wondering what he was doing. It did not take long before there was a shark swimming around us.

My poor dolphin was getting nervous since they are natural enemies. Thomas talked to the dolphin, letting him know I was safe.

"Let's go under but just relax sweetheart, I won't let him hurt you" he said as he took ahold of my hand.

I looked over and Duke and Evan were at the edge of the water watching. I could see they both were nervous since sharks were their own entity and did not listen to anyone.

"Ready?" Thomas asked.

I slowed my breathing down like my parents and grandmother taught me to do before I dove under.

After my heart rate slowed down, I nodded, taking a deep breath and we went under the water. Thomas held my hand, keeping an eye on the shark.

The shark swam around us in a large circle, I could tell he was curious but also sizing me up. I calmed myself and put my hand out.

Thomas let go of my hand as he watched the shark start to swim closer, making the circle smaller and smaller.

I had to remember this was his territory. I was just a visitor. He swam past me as my hand glided against his skin.

After a few passes he swam off, I stayed under a bit longer making sure he did not come back for a sneak attack as some sharks like to do.

I went up for air, but I noticed Thomas stayed under, I am sure to keep watch for me. I saw my dolphin start to chatter and swim around in circles around me.

I held my breath and dove under just in time to see that shark coming for me, Thomas was doing his thing, but the shark had no interest in listening.

My dolphin charged at the shark hitting its side with his nose, it still did not stop the shark or change his mindset.

He was closing in fast, my heart rate started to increase, I knew I had a minute or less to control this situation, if I could.

Closing my eyes, I put my hand out in front of me, forcing my power into the direction of the shark. I kept my eyes closed and pushed my thoughts towards the shark.

As I opened my eyes the shark was slowly swimming by me, as my hand went out it glided against his skin. The shark swam next to me a few more times and then left just as fast as he came in.

I surfaced and went to shore; my body was like jelly, and I needed to catch my breath. I sat at the shoreline, while my dolphin was chattering a mile a minute at Thomas.

Duke and Evan were right there with me, "you okay sweetheart?" Duke asked, checking me over.

"I'm okay, it was a close one but I'm good" I said laying down on the beach as the water lapped against my legs.

"Thomas that was stupid, a shark of all things for her test?" Evan yelled out.

"You think there's nothing dangerous in this water Evan? If you want her to be able to handle herself if ever in a situation, what better way than to face it head on" Thomas said.

"He does have a point," I said as I sat up. "Trust me I was scared beyond everything, but I also remembered my training with you, Evan which helped greatly" I said looking up at him.

"Still next time give her a turtle or something that doesn't involve me wanting to kill you" Evan said sitting down next to me.

"A turtle would be nice next time" I laughed, at least then I would know I would not die.

I stood up and went to where my dolphin was still chattering, he came up to me as I kissed his nose "thank you for being so brave for me" I said as I glided my hand along his side.

He bobbed his head up and down in the water, then he swam off. "I'm sorry love" Thomas said.

I could tell he felt bad, "it's fine love, I needed to be put to the test and, well I passed right?" I asked sort of half laughing half still nervous.

"With flying colors love, that was a great white you were with" he said.

All the color drained from my face at that moment, not knowing what kind of shark helped, but to know I was facing certain death with a great white was a whole new thing.

"Never again, okay?"

"Never again sweetheart I promise" he said.

"Okay good, now I'm going to go lay down on the beach for a bit to recover" I said with a smile. Thomas waved and dove under the water.

I laid down on the towel and after a bit my heart rate slowed too normal.

"I brought food" Evan said, and I rolled my eyes, that man always brought food wherever we went it seemed like.