Chapter Three

Duke rang a bell that was attached to the wall closest to the door. Within a few minutes a man who looked to be dressed in a butler's suit was carrying a tray.

He set it down and left, shutting the door behind him. I sat down at the small table where the tray sat. Duke sat opposite of me.

He lifted the lids off four plates. Each one was filled with fruits, meats, cheeses of all kinds and the last one was filled with various kinds of breads.

"This all looks so amazing" I said looking at each of the plates.

"Help yourself, eat as much as you want" Duke said with a smile.

I loaded up my plate with everything each plate had to offer, I was starving, and I was not about to let this pass me by.

"Thank you for all of this" I said as I poured myself a glass of water.

"You are most welcome, when you are ready, I will begin to tell you what you would like to know and probably things you wish you didn't want to know"

"Well since I am eating can we just stick to the pleasant things for right now at least?" I asked, looking at Duke.

"As you wish" he said, pouring himself a glass of water, he stretched out his legs crossing his ankles, I am sure getting comfortable for what he was about to tell me.

"I found you laying in the alley behind where you worked at a bar, someone stabbed you multiple times in the back and left you for dead.

I was walking by and saw you, that is when I rushed over to you, gave you a shot to help heal your wounds long enough to bring you to my home.

Once here I made sure none of your organs were damaged, once I saw your wounds were not fatal, I began to stick you up.

After that was done, I hooked up an IV so you would get fluids and antibiotics to help you heal. You have been in and out of consciousness for two weeks."

I sat there with food on my fork sitting midway to my mouth, I forgot I was eating and just sat there listening.

"You mean to tell me that someone tried to murder me?"

"Yes"

"Did you see who it could have been?"

"No, he was running away down the street as I was approaching that area"

"Well hell" was all I could say as I was trying to process all this latest information. Someone tried to kill me, if it were not for Duke, I would have been found dead in the alleyway.

That thought alone rocked me to my core.

"Thank you for saving me and tending to everything" I said as I gestured to my body.

"You are welcome, and I want you to know that you are more than welcome to stay here as long as you wish"

"I just might take you up on that, I really don't want to go back there, since someone tried to kill me, plus I needed a break from that job" I said with a smile.

Duke sat there smiling at me, "finish eating and if you feel up for it, I can take you around my home and if Evan is here, you can meet him as well, but that is up to you" he said as he grabbed some cheese.

I did not respond, I decided to wait till I finished eating. We sat there in comfortable silence until I finished.

Sitting back, I did not realize how hungry I was until I noticed I had eaten almost everything on all four plates.

"Before we go anywhere, is there anything else I can wear?" I asked, looking down at the nightgown I was wearing.

Duke stood up, "of course, I'm so sorry I wasn't thinking" he stumbled with the words since you could tell he was embarrassed.

I could not hide the grin on my face, this guy for as big as he was, seeing his face redden from blushing made him more likable.

After Duke rang the bell again, the butler guy showed up.

"Davis, I need you to get the seamstress and have her bring a bunch of clothes that would fit Jasmine."

"Right away my lord" the butler said and left in a hurry.

My head turned really fast once I heard the words uttered "my Lord?"

"The title came with my birth, not by choice" Duke said as he went to the closet. Opening the doors up, he walked back to where I was sitting.

"Once the seamstress is here, I will wait out in the hall until you are done, I want to make sure you have complete privacy" he said looking down at me.

I never noticed until this moment, his one eye is a stunning blue, a blue that you would see only on a sapphire, while the other one is golden.

I have never seen eyes like his before and I could not stop looking into them, it was as if they were pulling me into a place of comfort, but a bell rang off in my head reminding me that beneath his calm exterior lies someone who is deadly.

I brushed off that warning, everyone can be deadly I thought. Well except me, I apparently lack that skill I reminded myself.

There was a knock at the door, and just like that the connection broke. I looked out the balcony doors, trying to regain my senses.

I heard Duke clear his throat as if he were also trying to regain his composure.

"Come in" his voice louder than it should be, he was affected by our little moment.

"My lord, you sent for me?" this woman asked, her voice was beautiful, without looking at her, her voice seemed to sound like a beautiful melody.

"Yes, I need you to make sure Jasmine has everything she would ever want or need and that she is happy, no matter how many outfits she likes, she is to have them all" Duke said as he walked out the door and shut it behind him.