Chapter Five

Both Duke and Evans took hold of my hands, "Jasmine, you will never get in the way, we offered our home to you for as long as you wish. Plus, I think getting you out of the city is an important thing, this way you can enjoy a unique way of life that you might take to" Duke said looking at me with a warm smile.

"Exactly what my brother said Jasmine, plus it's nice to have a woman around that enjoys our sense of humor" Evan said with a wink.

I laughed, it felt good being a part of something, instead of working then going home to an empty apartment.

"I noticed that the sun set a while ago, but it's not that dark out" I said looking around.

The stars should be out, and the night sky should be dark, but the sky was glowing like it would at sunset.

"It could just be that the time is feeling like it is going faster than it actually is" Evan said looking at Duke.

"How about we go inside, and we could go to the game room or watch a movie if you feel up for it Jasmine" Duke said standing up.

"A movie sounds right up my alley" I said standing up and taking a hold of Duke's arm that he held out for me. He was such a gentleman; I had only seen this in movies and for once it was happening to me.

I was going to soak this all up, even if it was going to end one day. At least I would have the memories to live with.

We walked to the family room, where Evan pulled back two sets of doors. The television was huge. Duke led me to this couch that as soon as I sat down almost swallowed me whole.

I was in love with this couch, soft brown velvety material that was smooth against the skin. Duke went into the kitchen as Evan set out to find the right movie.

I grabbed a blanket and settled into the couch, taking a slow deep breath and for once relaxing and letting my guard down.

Duke walked back in with two huge bowls of popcorn, a few cans of pop, and a tray of crackers, various kinds of cheese.

"I wasn't sure what you would be in the mood for, so I grabbed a few things," Duke said, setting the snacks down on the table in front of us.

"Everything looks perfect," I said, grabbing a handful of popcorn.

Evan found a movie and we all settled in. He picked a great comedy, just what I needed to finish the night.

I found myself laughing and enjoying my time with these two brothers. They were so different yet a lot alike. One thing was for some unknown reason I felt safe for once in my life.

After the movie was done, a yawn escaped my lips.

"Let's get you to bed, you had a long day" Duke said as he stood up.

"I guess a good night's sleep wouldn't hurt at all, plus tomorrow can we go by the sea?" I asked standing up.

"As long as you are up for it, we can" Duke said as walked with me up the stairs and to my room.

"Duke"

"Yes?"

"Thank you for everything, for saving me, for making me feel right at home in your home, and for letting me be a part of something bigger than myself" I said.

"Jasmine, you don't ever have to thank me, but you are most welcome" he said as he looked down at me.

I smiled up at him, and my hand went to his face, tracing his jaw line. He was so handsome, but he never gave me any signals that he was interested in me, so I did not do anything more.

I turned around and opened the bedroom door, stepping in, I turned to see Duke standing there, he had a look in his eyes that I had no idea what it was.

"Good night, Duke" I said quietly, shutting the door, leaning against it, my heart was racing, and my core was on fire.

I wish I knew what he was thinking.