18- Mags

Idk if I was feeling especially evil this week or what... but here's a nice long, angsty chapter for you

Johanna won the 71st Hunger Games. None of the Victors were much surprised, but it really seemed to shock the country when she turned out have the ability to kill viciously with an axe. The 72nd Hunger Games, which followed, was rather dull. They were won by a boy from District 2, which surprised no one. Johanna joined the ranks of the mentors, but the District 2 boy did not.

It was a month after the 72nd Hunger Games when a phone call woke me up in the morning after one of the best sleeps I had in a while. "Hello?" I asked, my voice sluggish.

"Katniss?" I heard Johanna's voice and internally groaned. It's not that I didn't like her, but she was just so intrusive, especially to me, someone who liked their privacy.

"Yeah," I said. "What is it?"

"I think I did something wrong."

I was instantly awake. "Do you mind if I put you on hold for a few minutes? There's an urgent phone call I need to place."

"Yeah, I guess," she sounded a little annoyed, and I guess that was partially my fault for not explaining to her what I was about to do. I didn't want to get her hopes up. I dialed the number I was looking for, and a woman picked up

"Hi, this is Katniss Everdeen. I was wondering if I could speak to President Snow, please?" I asked in my nicest, fakest voice.

"I'm sorry dear," the woman said. "I'm afraid I can't do that. Can I take a message?"

"Ask him if I can get clearance to go to District 7 for a few days for me?" I wasn't sure what Johanna did wrong, but I think I had a pretty good idea, and she was going to need some help.

The secretary said she would, and I put Johanna back on line. "Hey, I'm back."

"What was that about?" she asked.

"That was President Snow."

"Yikes."

"So what was it you needed?" I said, even though I already knew

"Oh," was all Johanna said at first. "President Snow paid me a visit yesterday morning."

"What did he want?"

"He asked me to do something."

"And you refused, didn't you?"

There was a silence on the other end of the phone that told me everything I needed to know.

"Did he kill someone?" I asked, pressing her a bit more.

"He killed everyone," she whispered.

"He-"

"He killed everyone," she said again. "my parents, my sisters, my little niece, my fiancé... everyone."

"I'm so sorry," I said, wishing I could do more.

"Do you- do you know what he asked me to do?" she asked.

I took a deep breath. "I think I have a pretty good idea."

"So you understand why I had to say no?" Johanna asked desperately.

"I know why you did," I replied carefully. I didn't understand. Maybe because I grew up as a Victor. I knew more about Snow and his tactics to control the Victors than most, and I knew he wasn't bluffing. No way would I ever refuse him. Not if he put my family on the line.

"But you don't understand, do you?" She challenged.

"I'm sorry," I said. "He only made that proposition once, and that was not long before I went into the arena the second time."