22- Morphling

this was so hard for me to write for some reason

also I was watching The Umbrella Academy this month for the first time and it's amazing and I love it so much so if anyone ever wants to talk about it with me hit me up

Finnick left me alone at the apartment every day for about a week before I got bored alone enough to actually do something productive with my life. That being cleaning the apartment from top to bottom. Both of them. I had already written five new songs, watched too much Capitol TV, and called Prim every single day, and Peeta twice. In fact, I was bored enough that I actually called Haymitch once.

So I pulled myself out of bed at nine in the morning, which was very late by my standards. Finnick was already up and making breakfast. He had an appointment in a half hour.

"Good morning," he said upon seeing me enter the kitchen. "I wasn't sure you were getting up."

I shrugged. "I was up late last night."

He turned to look at me. "I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You know you don't have to wait up for me, right? Some of these nights could get pretty late."

"I don't mind."

"You should. You need to stay healthy, and waiting for me until one in the morning isn't healthy."

"You honestly think I have a choice? Do you think I could sleep while I know you're somewhere suffering things that I can't even imagine..."

His expression softened as he looked at me. "I understand. But could you at least try?"

I crossed my arms. "Why do you care so much?"

"I care about you, Katniss. What's wrong with that?"

"There's something else going on here." I protested. "And don't lie to me about it. I want to know the truth."

He sighed. "I just... I don't want you to have to see me when I get back. I don't want anyone seeing me like that."

"Oh," I said, dropping the matter.

He gave me a tight smile, then dished out the scrambled eggs. We sat down at the table to eat.

"So what's up today?" He asked me after a few minutes into our silent meal.

"I have plans to clean the entire apartment. Top to bottom."

He groaned. "That reminds me. I need to fold my laundry this afternoon."

"Don't the avoxes do that?"

He shrugged. "I asked them not to. I think it's weird that random people are handling my clothes." He grimaced. "But right about now I'm wishing I let them."

"I get that. I can do it for you if you want." I offered.

"Don't worry about it. I have time this afternoon," he said with another shrug.

"Finnick, I literally have nothing else to do." I rolled my eyes.

"it's totally fine, I promise."

"Okay. If you say so."

Finnick stood up a few minutes later and dumped his empty plate in the sink. I stood up with him. He pulled me in for a deep kiss.

"I love you," I said once he pulled away.

"Love you, too. I'll see you this afternoon." And he was gone.

I sighed and sat down to finish my eggs. I knew he loved me, but he had been so distant lately. Maybe this is how he always acted when he had appointments, but there was something very off about him.