35- The Lightning Tree

Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes was everything I hoped for... go see it if you haven't already. I don't care what your opinion is on Rachel Zegler, watch the movie.

Here's chapter thirty-something, featuring my all-time favorite scene from the books! (I can't believe this fanfic is so long wth)

(there was no proofreading involved in the making of this chapter)

We sat on the beach, the five of us, digging through our seafood.

"Oh look," Finnick said suddenly, prying a clam open. He held up a dark, smooth object that looked like a stone.

"Is that-"

"It's a pearl," He finished, holding it out to me. "For you, my darling wife."

I smiled at his dramatics, and took the pearl from him. It tucked neatly into a small pocket on my sleeve.

Peeta watched us for a second before speaking up. "Did you know that if you put pressure on coal, it turns into a pearl?" He asked Finnick. I stifled a laugh, remembering what Effie said to us years ago. I had immediately dismissed it as being false, knowing far more about coal than her. But poor Peeta, who grew up in the town, knew very little about his district's trade. Apparently he had believed it all these years.

"No it doesn't," Finnick said shortly.

We both knew Beetee's plan would work. Finnick convinced me to stay until it was finished, and then we would leave.

It saddened me, knowing that I would have to leave Peeta behind, but only one person was leaving the arena, and it had to be Finnick.

We trudged through the jungle flora, up the large hill and to the Lightning Tree. We had started walking as soon as the ten o'clock wave hit. That would give up plenty of time to make it over to the tree, lay the wire, and get to safety. Beetee smiled as his plan was put into action.

"Finnick and Peeta will stay here with me. Katniss and Johanna, I want you two to lay the wire."

Alarm bells rang in my ears. "Why Johanna and me?" I asked, my gaze locking on Finnick. They were trying to split us up, I decided. Don't be silly, Katniss, I told myself. Johanna and Beetee are your friends.

But I knew this was the Hunger Games. It was only a matter of time before friend turned on friend. After all, wasn't that the intention of this Quarter Quell?

Johanna rolled her eyes. "I don't know, Brainless. Maybe we're sick of watching you and Finnick, all lovey-dovey."

Beetee raised an eyebrow. "Is there a problem with the two of you going out on your own?"

I didn't answer, not sure what to say without causing an upheaval.

"There's no problem," Finnick answered carefully in my place. Beetee glanced at him, then back at me. I nodded slowly in agreement. There was no getting out of this. I beckoned Finnick over to me, away from the others.

"Do you not trust Johanna anymore?" He asked me.

I shrugged. "Is it safe to trust anyone?"

"It may seem that way." He studied my face, one hand in mine. "Remember who the real enemy is," He told me.

I nodded slowly. Snow's cruel smile flashed in my mind, but I pushed it away quickly.

"We're your friends," Finnick whispered to me.

"We can't stay with them," I reminded him.
He nodded slowly, conceding my point. "I know."

"I was hoping we could set the wire together and then leave. That would make it clean and easy." I admitted.