19- Training

WELCOME TO HECCKIN' PART 2 DUDES AND DUDETTES

Chapter 19

The next morning, Katniss wandered down into the basement. "What are you doing?" she asked me.

"Practicing my hand-to-hand," I responded as I finished wrapping my hands.

"Can you show me?" She asked.

"I don't see why not," I responded. I showed her my stance, and she copied it. "You have a little bit of experience already," I told her. "Being in the Hunger Games and all."

"But no formal training," She supplied.

"Exactly. You have good instincts, but you could be even better if you had a bit of proper technique."

I showed her a few punches. Jab, cross, and hook. Eventually, I got her to the point that we could actually spar a bit, but we both held back a little, not wanting to hurt each other.

I sent a round kick to her thigh, but she must have been slightly off balance, because she fell over on her back.

"Sorry!" I said, trying to hold back laughter. Before I had time to react, Katniss swept my legs and I fell on top of her, catching my weight on my forearms, in plank position. "Once again, it seems you've swept me off my feet," I whispered, my Capitol smirk showing through.

Katniss rolled her eyes, and I closed the distance, kissing her deeply. I closed my eyes, and for a few seconds I could pretend that nothing else mattered. Katniss was visiting me in Four for fun, not because my entire world seemed to be coming to an end. And then I heard someone clear their throat. I broke off the kiss and glanced up, only to see Johanna Mason standing there a few feet away.

"Just what in God's name are you doing?" She asked.

I grinned. "Training."

"Training Katniss to be a whore like you?"

I stared back up at her. I wasn't sure how she knew anything about my profession. I could tell she wasn't just calling me names. She had dirt on me.

"That's enough, Johanna," Katniss said firmly. I rolled off of her and we sat up. "I shouldn't have to explain this to you. You both made a difficult decision."

"At least I'm not a disgusting sex symbol." She muttered.

I glanced at Katniss, and saw her face was flushed red. And not just from working out.

"Can I have a word with you?" She stood up and walked Johanna to the other side of the room, where I couldn't hear them speaking in hushed tones. Johanna's arms were waving wildly, rather expressive, while Katniss kept hers crossed firmly over her chest. Eventually they both seemed to calm down, and Johanna stomped back up the stairs. Katniss made her way back to me.

"Sorry about her," She said.

I shrugged, a sad smile on my face. "It's nothing I haven't heard before."

"You know none of what she said is true, right? She's just bitter."

I shook my head. "It is true. I am a whore. I am a sex symbol. As much as I hate to admit it... it's true. There's nothing I can do about my reputation."

"I think you should talk to her," Katniss said.

"Talk to her? You know I wouldn't be able to get a word in edgewise. She hates me."

"She needs help, Finnick. I don't think I can explain to you what happened. It's not really for me to say, but it's something you can help her with. I can't. You know I can't."