37- White Roses

IMPORTANT: I MADE A MAJOR EDIT TO THE LAST CHAPTER!!!! I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT BRITT WAS THE ONE STILL IN THE CAPITOL AND NOT ZAHRA!!!!!! THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER MAKE TWO FEMALE OC'S WITH DARK HAIR THAT ARE BOTH VICTORS AND VERY GOOD FRIENDS WITH KATNISS

Thanks to @Blakey1014 @Nightcat222 @VadVitch45 and @BlueFawkes for commenting

and thanks to @Wonder675 @Valkyrion1990 @BlueFawkes and @Donnaisaaaa for voting!! 

Means a lot! keep it up!

Katniss

"Just what are you doing in here?" Finnick's honey-rich voice slid through my ears, causing me to giggle quietly at the humor in his tone. I turned around, hands on my hips.

"Well someone has to clean up after you. Look at your apartment; It's a pigsty."

Seizing me with one hand on my hips and the other under my knees, he picked me up before I had a chance to react. My hands went around his neck as he cradled me in his strong arms as if I weighed almost nothing. "Are you sure you didn't have... another reason for coming to my room?" He whispered, stooping his neck so his face was mere inches from mine. His soft lips planted themselves on my throat and I closed my eyes, feeling them glide across my face and neck. "Just because your my wife doesn't mean you have to clean my messes for me, Mrs. Odair."

I caught his lips with mine as he set me gently down on the bed. "Someone has to," I repeated. I opened my eyes as he pulled away from the kiss. My breath caught in my throat when I noticed for the first time that his skin lacked its normal sun-kissed tan. My eyes rose to his, normally bright and green, alive with light and love. Now, they were dull, lifeless, with heavy bags underneath them. His cheekbones were more prominent through his sallow skin, and I touched his sickly face with trembling hands.

"Finnick," I murmured, not trusting myself to speak above a whisper. "What happened?"

One of his boney, shaking hands caressed my hair. "Don't you know?"

"Know what?"

He smiled grimly. "I was left to the Capitol, honey. You knew that."

"Where are you now? I'm going to find you." I insisted, taking his hand in my own.

He shook his head, his expression unreadable. "You can't find me."

"Why?" I persisted. "Where are you?"

He left one last lingering kiss on my lips before stepping away from me. "I think you know where I am."

Dead.

The hovercraft touched down in the ash and dirt, creating large clouds of the stuff. I looked across the wreckage, my eyes adjusting to the dull grey sky.

"Gale-" I started. He touched my arm gently, a large gun in his other hand.

"Let's keep moving, Katniss." He said quietly.

I waded through the destruction around me. I heard a sickening crunch, and something sharp sliced into my ankle. I looked down, letting out a sharp exhale. I kicked the shattered skull off my foot and squeezed my eyes shut.

All around me, the seam was lying on the ground, only rubble remaining. I spied the roof of what used to be my father's house, but Gale tugged on my arm.

I'm not sure what possessed me to beg to return to Twelve. Maybe I needed to see it to believe it, but it was clear everything I heard was true. District 12 was no more. I had asked Peeta to come along with me, but he refused. I now understood why.