CHAPTER 12

SOMETIMES, EMOTIONS CAN BE QUITE HARD TO UNDERSTAND

SOMETIMES, EMOTIONS CAN BE QUITE HARD TO UNDERSTAND. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S ONE WE'VE NEVER EXPERIENCED BEFORE.

And it was one of such emotions Hermes was experiencing in the moment. A feeling — so confusing and strange in a way — which had kept him awake the whole night. He could not stop his mind from replaying the scene back where he had leaned in to kiss the e/c eyed maiden's rosy lips. It greatly disturb his peace to an extent he could not carry out his daily errands as a god peacefully.

The young maiden was just an acquaintance. A mortal he had engaged with to get rid of his dull dreary life. He had lived for centuries on end and life had somehow turn dull and meaningless to him like it did to the rest of the immortals. Everyday seemed like a repetition of a daily routine; carry out their godly duties, indulge themselves in luxuries and the pleasures the world could offer.

In the start, everything seemed exciting. But soon the things and activities which sparked excitement and pleasure in him began to fade. So when he had heard about the e/c eyed woman, it evoked a curiousity in him. More so, a hope to fill the empty void in his dull life. He had never intended to meet the lady to befriend her or even as such form a bond. His only agenda had been to get away from the daily repetition of the tedious dreary routine — he has been following ever since a century or so.

Truth be told, at start he had not even cared if Apollo would cause her any harm. The only thing he had cared for was himself and getting himself out of his boring life. Never had he thought, he would befriend the mortal and form a wonderful bond with her.

And now it scared him. What if she came to learn about his previous real motive for entering her life? There was always this tiny ounce of fear which weighed his heart everytime he was with her. The fear of being shunt away. Afterall, the friendship — he now treasure so much —had been build solely on false ground.

And what are the odds of her staying with him after she learns the truth?

"I'm so confused." Hermes spoke out, burying his face in his palm. "What shall I do?" He asked himself in despair. The fear and guilt he held in his heart was growing heavier with each passing day as the strange emotions stirring in his heart was getting stronger.

A part of him wanted to come clean to her. Tell her the truth and start anew. However, the bitter possibility of him never getting a chance to start afresh with her scared him to death.

Exhaling a deep breath, he rose from his seat and walked out in the balcony. The night breeze welcomed him as he stepped out to stand near the railings. His mind and heart greatly troubled.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, he took a step forward and placed his hand on the railing to stare down at the mortal world. His teal hues gradually softened and the storm in his mind settled down for a while as his eyes landed on her sleeping form.

She looked so peaceful. Free from any care and worries which was quite contrary to him.

"Y/n, would you give me another chance?"

A/N: thank you for reading!