CHAPTER 20

Apollo remained silent, staring at his brother

Apollo remained silent, staring at his brother. His own mind was in a conflict. Did love really hurt so much? Was it a double edged swords? He had many lovers in the past too but he had never had to shoulder an immeasurable pain because he loved someone. He placed his warm hand on his brother's shoulder after being lost in his own thoughts for a while.

"Hermes..." he called out his name, his voice low and comforting like the sound of the waves on the sea on a peaceful day. "Tell her the truth." His brother snapped his head up to meet his gaze as if he had told him to do something impossible. "She will know someday anyhow, Hermes. So wouldn't it be better if you are the one who tell her rather than her finding it out on the last moment by herself? Moreover, it seems to be killing you inside."

The teal eyed god casted down his eyes to his limp hands on his lap. His brows creased slightly. He knew what his brother said was true? But—

"What if she does not forgive me for my sins? My lies..." he asked.

Apollo did not know what to say. Even he had not revealed his true identity to her. But it was not like he hid it away from her intentionally. He had told her his real name on the very first day they met. He was ever ready to tell her the truth if she asked. It was the comment she had made on regard to his name which always stopped him back from telling her his true identity. That he was really the Apollo. The sun god and not someone who shared the same name. He kept it to himself for her own good so she wouldn't feel maybe scared or embarrassed.

"What if she leaves me forever..." Hermes spoke out again, his voice faint.

"If it is what you are concern about. I will reveal her my true identity first and if she distant herself from me after knowing the truth, you can choose to either keep it a secret or not from her. And if you choose to keep it a secret, I will take the liberty to lie to her that I took the form of your brother so she will not know you are a god too." He stood up. They could keep her under the shadows forever till death. She was a human. She would not live on forever like them. But it was killing Hermes inside to live a life full of lies. Sometimes, it made him even question if she only cared for Belen, the version of him which only existed because of her.

"Are you not afraid to lose her?" He spoke out after a long pause. "You know, we can keep it a secret forever." Maybe if he kept it a secret, he would maybe just maybe win her heart someday. He knew she did not fancy the gods. Moreover he had lied to her so much. Would she ever learn to love him? He knew Belen had more chance.

"Forever...?" Apollo asked. His brows creased a little. A hint of confusion in his serene golden hues. Did his brother not wish to turn her into one of them once she returned back his feelings? She was a mortal and would not live long. Their life was as short as a fly compared to the endless life of a god. So wouldn't he want to turn her into a deity too to be by his side forever? Or was his love for her had made him selfish enough to lose her to death if it meant he could be with her? "You love her, Hermes?"