CHAPTER 39

Her e/c fluttered open when she heard knocking at the door

Her e/c fluttered open when she heard knocking at the door. She had fallen asleep on the chair while reading a book — Apollo have gifted her. She quickly placed the book down and rushed to the door to open it.

"Apollo..." she called out his name, thinking it was him as he had promised to come by. But her eyes widened in shock when she saw Belen outside the door instead. However, it was not his sudden appearance which surprised her but the look in his eyes. His teal hues looked devoid of any emotion, like the dark abyss of an ocean and it somehow scared her. It felt like she didn't know him.

"So you were expecting him." He spoke out, his voice low.

She blinked her eyes, breaking out of the trance. Her hand still holding the door. She casted her eyes down and remained silent. She didn't know what to say. She couldn't lie, could she? Now that she was caught red handed.

"Didn't I told you not to give him another chance?" He asked. "Is your friendship with him worth far more than your love for me?" His voice was drenched in pain yet hold an underlying hint of rage. Her head snap up and her e/c eyes meet his teal ones.

Her brows creased and she looked as if she was debating something in her mind. "It's not like that, Belen." She answered, her eyes trailing down to stare at his foot. "I love you but your love suffocates me." She gulped down the lump on her throat. She didn't have the courage to look him in the eyes and tell him those words. Her heart was not strong enough to bear his face contort into a pained look. She love him so much but he suffocated her.

"So my love suffocates you now?"

Her e/c eyes gazed up at him, surprised at the anger laced in his voice. "Be-Belen..."

"Do you even know what I even went through just because of you? How many sleepless night I had? How much I did just so you can be happy!? We can be happy... Together forever. No you don't! Coz you are better off caring about that bastard who betrayed you than I!!!"

Her hand slipped from the door handle, she was holding onto.

"What didn't I do for you!? And yet you are not satisfied." He accused her with a betrayed look on his face, but almost like he was disgusted at her for what she did. "What more do you want me to do, y/n!? So you can be happy. Cause my love suffocates you right..."

She remained silent. Her gaze never leaving his visage, it was like she was searching for something in his countenance.

"How selfish can you be, y/n? You claim to love me yet run into the arms of another man the moment I look away." The next words which spilled from his mouth was something he would regret for the rest of his life. Yet at the heat of the moment, blinded by his rage, he didn't think a second about it before uttering it out. "You disgust me with your behaviour. No wonder, none of the townsfolk liked you."

Tears pooled up in her eyes and she tried with all her might to not shed a tear. It felt like someone was tearing her heart apart. He did not just accused her of falsely claiming to love him, being selfish but he pointed fingers at her character. She never thought Belen would ever do such a thing in her entire life. The Belen she knew was a nice gentle soul who understood her. This man before him was not the person he knew.

"You should consider yourself lucky that I even like you. A nobody."

Tears trickled down her cheeks like raindrops. While no words came out of her lips. It felt like she had turned mute.

Had she committed such a great crime by forgiving Apollo?

Her chest heaved up and down as she stared at the seething man in front him, who couldn't even see her tear stained cheeks blinded by rage and envy. She tried to search for the man she had learned to love in him even through her hazy vision. However, he was nowhere to be found.

"I don't know you." She mumbled out after a long pause. "I think you got the wrong person." Her voice sounded lost and so did her eyes like she was in a daze. She grabbed onto the handle of the door once again and without another word, she shut the door.

Her hands shivered as she locked the door. She stood in front of the closed door for hours on end. Completely detached from reality to even hear the cries of Hermes who had came to his senses when she denied to know him.

"Y/n... pleaseeee, let me explain myself..." he pleaded from the other end of the door. His clenched fist placed against the rough wooden door. "Please... just this once..."

Was this going to draw an end to their chapter?

.............

A/N: Happy new year🎊