CHAPTER 23

Y/n tightened her grip on the head of the chair

Y/n tightened her grip on the head of the chair. Her mind replaying every single moment she had spent with the golden haired prince. How her slight hostility towards him turn into a beautiful friendship — she cherished with her whole heart? How his presence which had made her feel at unease changed into something she would always look forward to? And now he had changed from a young rich merchant who was a mortal like her to a god, she despised.

It was too much to take in. A part of her still choice to be in denial, afraid to end up despising the golden eyed man.

"Surely, it can't be true." She finally spoke out, trying to convince herself into denial. She looked at the door left slightly ajar. Her mind race with millions of thoughts. Her hands slipped from the head of the chair and to her side. 'If I go after him now I might—'she stepped forward but stop in her steps. 'What's wrong with me—? Didn't he say himself that he is the Apollo— one of the so called gods... then why am I—"

Her heart ached. She did not know whether to feel betrayed. It was too much to take in at the moment. Her mind was a maze while her heart cried for her to chase after the man. However, she stood still, unmoving. An almost look of grief in her visage, like she had lost something or someone precious.

Meanwhile,

Apollo stepped off the chariot. He turned back as he did, like he was expecting someone to call out to him. He wondered if she would forgive him and give him another chance. And though his heart ached at the thought of her choosing to walk out of his life. He felt at ease for coming out clean to her.

"Apollo!" A frantic voice called out to him.

He turned to catch the image of Hermes walking towards him. A pure look of fear plastered on his handsome countenance. "Where have you been? Did—you" He had just awaken a few hours back to realise in his drunken state, he had conveyed his love for the young mortal woman to his half brother. But that was the least concern of his, the hazy memory of his brother telling him he would confess the truth to the lady was what made his blood run cold. He was still not ready to bear the consequences of his lies. His heart was not ready to be broken if she choice to leave her.

"You do not need to worry. You are safe." Apollo cut in, it was like he knew what was running in the mind of his brother. "She does not know of you." He paused to stare at his brother with an almost disappointed look in his golden hues. "And maybe she never will as you choose to remain a coward and I am bounded by the promise I made to you." With those words, he walked off, leaving behind Hermes who stood with wide eyes.

He clenched his fist. 'I really am a coward. Am I not?' He hanged his head, a small laugh rumbling out of his throat. Mocking himself of the state he was in. He knew he was going to end up more hurt if he kept on to choose not to reveal the truth of his identity. And even the young woman he so love with all his heart will be. But his selfish heart kept his lips sealed and refused to reveal her the truth.

He would rather bear not living with her for eternity than being hated by her.