Chapter 1: A Sad Day in Vumaedal

It was raining in the Kingdom of Vumaedal. The skies were dark grey, and the sun was hidden behind the clouds. No one was outside wandering the cobblestone streets, and stray animals hid in a dry shelter, as not to get wet. On rainy days like these, people would stay inside, and get warm, read a book, or bake treats for selling the next morn. Lord Isembart was one of these nobles that hid away in his home to read and write.

Lord Isembart was already preparing the correct papers for a future event that would happen when it was not raining but sunny, for it would be a joyous day. He would write every letter and then use the Isembart's red wax seal of a rose to seal the invitation. An average seal, for an average man, for an average day in Vumaedal. Just as the script had written.

   " My lord, I have finished the task that you have assigned to me. "

Coming into the study was a hooded man who dripped water from the fallen rain outside. His cloak was dark, hiding any details of his usual clothing underneath. His caramel-colored hands rested on his side, leaving the doors to stand open on their own. Lord Isembart looked up from his letter toward the servant but grimaced, seeing the water drip onto his hardwood floor.

   " Arlutrix, why are you soaking wet? "

   " Your mission required me to go outside. I had to get wet my lord. "

   " Why didn't you use your magic to keep yourself dry? "

Arlutrix looked toward his master's windows, and upon seeing the curtains drawn, he waved his left hand. Immediately, the water droplets stopped hitting the floor, and the small puddle on the floor rose and collected the frozen water droplets. The black cloak, though still wet, didn't drip any more water.

   " I didn't want to risk anyone seeing my magic, lord. You know the unspoken law. "

   " Yes, well, the unspoken law isn't keeping my floor dry? Thank you, Arlutrix. You are finished for the night. "

   " Thank you. "

   " I will see you in the morning. These invitations need to be delivered tomorrow. "

   " I shall do so as soon as the rooster crows. "

   " You are dismissed. "

Arlutrix left Lord Isembart's study and went to his room. Arlutrix entered the living room, where a fire was set ablaze in the cobblestone fireplace. He stood in front of the fireplace before waving his hand, diminishing the fire. The fire died quickly and revealed a door behind the kindling wood. Arlutrix looked toward a ceramic pot beside the fireplace and let the dripping rainwater fill the pot before walking to the door. The door opened on its own, and Arlutrix stepped inside the small room. He turned toward the wood once more, relit the fireplace, and shut the door, sealing himself inside. Within the room, the sound of rain could not be heard.

Across the way, in the country, there was a large manor sitting on the winding hills. This manor had its own garden and animals and was self-sustaining. However, standing at the doorway to the house was a woman in her late 50s who seemed distressed. Her husband, inside, looked out of his window at the sight outside. 

   " Please come inside! You'll get sick! "

Standing outside was a maiden who was soaked to the bone. Her hair was sticking to her body, and her dress was heavy. A sigh left the woman's lips, and she looked toward the sky. She wished she would get sick in her soul to make the dreadful day get further away. 

   " Y/n! Come inside now! Listen to me! "

Regretfully, you turned around and walked to the door. You didn't want to hear your mother's excessive screaming, even if you were in the countryside, where no one else could listen to it. Upon reaching the door, your mother pulled you inside and wrapped a towel around your shoulders.

   " Why were you standing out in the rain like that? You're going to get sick. "

   " I just wanted to go outside for fresh air. I didn't care if it was raining or not. "

   " Well, go get a warm bath, and get some rest. You have a big day of planning tomorrow. "

You nodded and walked up the stairs toward your bedroom without a word. Your maid, Andrea, followed you. Andrea opened the door to your bedroom and ran to your bathroom to start a hot bath for you. Meanwhile, you stood, looking around your room. It was lavish and fit for a noblewoman like yourself, but it wasn't an average day for you. Today was a depressing day when you saw the draft for the letter. 

You didn't even confirm that you wanted the letter to be the way it was; your mother did that. In any aspect of life, your mother and father had control over it. What you ate, what you wore, and even who you would marry. And they did it while guilting their daughter. 

   " You live under our house, it's our rules. "

   " We expect you to listen to us because you live under our roof. It's called respect, and you should respect us. "

   " Why would you wear that? "

   " You can't go out tonight. "

   " I don't care what you think. "

   " Look at our perfect daughter, it's no wonder she was proposed to as soon as she turned of age! "

Indeed, your life was suffocating, and you wouldn't wonder if, one day, your mind continued to go down the dark, depressing hole your parents had dug for you. But, instead, you glanced at the letter and read over the carefully written letters of black ink.

Lord Isembart and Lady Y/n cordially invite you to attend their wedding ceremony at the Church of Axtarr.

The happy event will be a month's time, from the moment of the invitation's arrival. Then, the house of Lady Y/n and Isembart will merge and become one home in love and care.

Thank you.

You looked away from the letter, feeling the numbness in your chest continue to grow. With your bath ready to lie in, Andrea walked into the bedroom to look at your figure, but she found you lying on the floor, clutching your blanket around you.

   " My lady! "

Andrea ran toward you and fell to the ground holding your shoulder. She shook you, but you did not acknowledge her or even move. Andrea, concerned, stood from the floor and ran to get the lady of the house.