Chapter 18: Getting Answers

In the morning, you left the inn with Arlutrix, starting your travel back to the central city in the Vumaedal Kingdom. There was still snow on the ground from the snowstorm that hit during the night. A large pile of snow was still in town, where the dancing occurred, and kids were jumping into the pile. Around the city, kids threw snowballs at each other while parents tried to warn them not to play roughly. Arlutrix looked around at the parents, laughing at their children, feeling his empty heart. The mage couldn't remember anything during the night, only your blushing face and the drinks he had.

   " This town is entertaining. " You said, trying to open the conversation.

   " Yes, they enjoy the small things. I would like to come back here for the festival next year. "

   " You can come with me, then. Whether I'm Lord Isembart's wife or not, that was fun, and I want to return. "

   " It agreed then, we will return together next year. "

The conversation started to die once you left the gate leading to the forest. Memories of your farming friend came back to you, and you hoped he could work things out with his wife so that he could be with his children. 

The snow crunched underneath your feet as you walked through the forest. When there was a large fallen tree, Arlutric would go over the tree before grabbing your hands and helping you over the log. If the ground weren't flat where you were walking, Arlutrix would hold your hand and help you over the obstacle. The warlock was gentle and patient with you, ensuring you were not having trouble getting through the forest. You started the conversation again, trying to create a better atmosphere than the cold, stale one that was apparent.

   " Arlutrix, I have a question. "

   " What is it? "

   " What did you mean when you said that it wasn't your will that things be done? You said it when you found me, but I can't imagine what you mean by that, unless your talking about Lord Isembart. "

   " I was. He is my master, my lord. I must do things by his word, whether I like it or not. "

   " You sound like he has the highest power in the world to control you. It's simple to run away or to let me go without him knowing. "

   " I cannot defy him for a simple reason. Let me demonstrate. "

Arlutrix stopped walking and turned to you, raising his hand. He grabbed your arm and twisted it around, causing pain to bloom through your arm. Before you could shout at him, he released your arm, and his hands went to his neck. Around his neck was a clasp wrapped so tight his skin pinched a little around his collar. On the front of the clasp was a chain connected to the collar, pulled toward the town you were traveling to. Green wisps floated around the collar and chain with a green aura materializing around the metal. Arlutrix kneeled to the ground, gripping the clasp around his neck. His teeth ground against each other as the pain was felt through his body, terminating from the neck. 

   " Arlutrix! "

You kneeled to the ground and raised your hands, trying to figure out how to help, but you could do nothing. Soon, his chain and collar were gone, and Arlutrix's irregular breathing started to regulate as he took deep breaths. Finally, Arlutrix looked up at you and raised his hand against your shoulder.

   " I was assigned the task of ensuring Lord Isembart does not harm you. If I disobey his rules or do something he doesn't like, he can summon the chain whenever he wishes or when I perform disobedience. "

   " So. . .that chain is his? "

   " In a way. . ."

Together you stood up and continued walking, with Arlutrix holding his neck, still feeling the touch of pain from the tight clasp.

   " So, is Lord Ismebart a mage? "

   " No, he is a normal human being. "

   " Then, how come he has power over you, with that clasp? "

   " Because I gave it to him. "

   " You gave it to him? Why would you do that? Is there something he knows that nobody else does or does he--"

   " My lady, these questions are very private. I'm sure you have your own secrets. "

Knowing the secret you had, you didn't say more, but you were curious about Arlutrix. You then realized you didn't know this man's past, where his parents were, or anything about his life. All you knew was that he learned magic and was under Lord Isembart's control. 

So when the night greeted you, Arlutrix decided to stop walking and settle. You set your bag on the ground and leaned against a tree, feeling your back relax slightly. Arlutrix looked in the bag you put on the ground and saw dry logs inside. He was thankful that there was some firewood to start a fire instead of having to conjure heat.

   " I'm going to get a fire started. "

Arlutrix left you alone, leaning against the tree as he gathered big rocks, almost the size of his hand. After collecting a few, he set them into a circle before taking out the dry logs and putting them into a triangular shape. Then, he stepped back and held his left hand toward the logs.

   " Le feu vient à moi. "

A bright orange flame appeared from his hand, crackling and causing sparks to fly into the cold wind. Arlutrix kneeled to the ground, placed his hand between the logs, and waited for them to catch fire. When the logs finally caught fire, Arlutrix leaned back and waved his hand around, causing the flame in his palm to die. Then the mage sat down on the snow-covered ground and leaned against a tree, crossing his arms to keep warm. 

You wanted to continue questioning and asking about his life, but you didn't open your mouth to speak. Arlutrix knew your curiosity was growing and decided to entertain the idea. 

   " What do you want to know? "

   " I thought you said those were personal secrets? "

   " I did, but one day you'll be my lady and mistress, so I shouldn't defy you. "

   " Please, don't refer to me with such high status. We are closer are we not? "

   " Then I will withhold my information. "

   " Okay, I didn't say that. "

Arlutrix chuckled a little, showing you a small smile and easing the tension over the fire. Then, with the calm atmosphere, you pulled your legs closer and wrapped your arms around them.

   " So, first I need to ask: how long have you been under Lord Isembart's control? "

   " Hmm, I think it's been a couple of years. I've lost count. "

   " I see. How old are you? "

   " I am, only seven years older than you. "

   " I knew you were around my age, but seven years? "

   " Suprise, I look younger than I am, but Lord Isembart can't say the same. HIs grey hair is getting worse daily, and wrinkles are starting to develop slowly. "

   " Alright, where are your parents? "

   " They died in the fire that the archmage set years ago. I survived, but barely. " Arlutrix said with hesitance. 

You felt guilty and didn't ask another question, but you didn't need to ask him anything for Arlutrix to continue.

   " Actually, my father was the archmage. "