Chapter 16: Found

It took half a day to get to the village, but when you got there, you saw the opportunity. Your new friend dropped you off at the town center and continued to the market. Now, you wondered where you were going to go now.

   ' I need to keep heading North. I'll get into the next kingdom, and then I can think about settling. '

You continued through the town, looking at all the joyful people and happy children. There seemed to be a festival, and decorations of white and silver were being put up around the village. Streamers of silver were flying on every building, guiding the wind. Before realizing it, you bumped into someone while looking at all the decorations. The woman didn't fall but turned to you with a bright smile.

   " Oh, hi! Sorry, I shouldn't be standing around aimlessly. "

   " It was my fault; I wasn't looking where I was going. Umm, do you know what festival is going on? "

   " You're new, aren't you? Well, this is the winter festival. It's a long festival that lasts for days. We celebrate the coming of winter and pray for snow. We always decorate in hopes of having a great winter full of fun instead of one that is cold and dangerous. The town celebrates every year. The first part of the festival happens tomorrow night, after we get done decorating today! "

   " Thank you. "

You moved around the woman and started going through the crowd to get outside the town, but sometimes people would unintentionally push you, making you fall back a few steps. Soon, you got to the center of the crowd, looking around for the best exit, but you paused when you noticed a familiar black, grey, and gold robe. Quickly, you moved out of the crowd, and once you were free, you looked back and saw the same colors again on the same person. Their hood was covering their face, but you knew who it was without seeing their face. 

   ' Arlutrix caught up with me. '

Instead of walking, you started running in the direction you had picked, going between buildings to hide your presence. Continuously, you looked over your shoulder but saw no one with the same color scheme as the mage searching for you. But you knew you shouldn't be relieved just yet. The travel bag with you was awkward to run with, but you didn't want to let go of the wood in case you encountered a severely cold night. 

The exit to the fun town was in sight, and you passed through the gates quickly. One more time, you looked behind you to look for Arlutrix, and you spotted his black robes coming in the direction of the gate. Feeling the pressure, you ran into the woods instead of the gravel path leading out of the village to the next one. You were quick, but Arlutrix was quicker, following your tracks and running into the forest after you. He spotted you quickly and ran straight forward after you.

   " My lady! Please stop! "

You didn't stop running and kept your legs moving to escape the mage. But Arlutrix was faster than you, quickly catching up. He reached his hand out and grabbed your shoulder, pulling you, but you twisted around due to the force he used in his pull. Gravity controlled your body as you fell to the lush grass, with Arlutrix kneeling beside you, keeping a tight grip on your shoulder.

   " My lady, please stop running. You have to return. "

   " No! I don't wish to be married to him! I want to choose who I marry and do as I wish! "

   " Lord Isembart is distraught without you at the estate. Please return willingly. "

Arlutrix was lying through his teeth, but he needed to do what he could to convince you to come back before he went to drastic measures willingly. You tried scooting away, kicking, spitting, don't what you could to get away from Arlutrix, but in the end, he grabbed your wrists, holding them to your chest. The sun was already setting, with the air growing colder, and you could see your breath in the air as you yelled for your independence.

   " I don't care! I did not choose to marry Lord Isembart; my mother did! Like everything else in my life! Why should I marry a man for his status, riches, and ties, when I don't know them? My mother wishes for this marriage to happen, not me, so that she can marry him instead. Maybe then my father could put his opinion into more than just the business matters. "

   " You will be well taken care of, and in time, you shall grow to love him--"

   " I don't want to grow to love him! That's not love! "

   " You don't even know what love is! "

At his limit, Arlutrix raised his voice when talking, and his usually calm expression turned into a glare as his turquoise eyes looked down at you.

   " You have never even experienced love! You have no secret lover to fight for. So why defy my master's marriage proposal so much? "

   " You don't know what love is either! I bet you've never loved anyone before! I defy his marriage because his proposal is forced love that I don't want. Love is something established between two people, not forced onto someone. Marrying Lord Isembart would chain me to a marriage where all I could do was provide children for a man I never see! That's why I reject your master's proposal! "

Arlutrix was quiet while his glare deepened. Ultimately, there would be no choice; he would have to bring you back to Lord Isembart. If he returned without you, there was no doubt in Arlutrix's mind that he would be punished. Arlutrix could practically feel the chain around his neck pulling against his skin.

Without words, Arlutrix waved his free hand, and bonds of gold wrapped around your wrists and faded. The mage let go of your wrists, but when you tried to pull your hands apart, you couldn't. Finally, Arlutrix picked you up, throwing you over his shoulder like a bag of flour, and walked toward the village you had just run from.

   " So, you are a warlock. "

   " Yes, I am. "

   " You're a liar. "

   " I never claimed to be expected, so I did not lie. "

   " You lied when you told me you only learned one spell to protect your lord. You. Lied. To. Me. "

Arlutrix didn't respond and continued to walk into the town. He didn't say anything and walked toward an inn, planning to stay the night in the city. Three gold coins were laid on the counter in exchange for one room key. No words were still said between you two until ARlutrix entered the room and sat you on the bed.

   " We will stay here for the night and start our journey back tomorrow. "

   " Why must you do everything your master tells you? Why can you not understand--"

   " I do understand, but it is not my will things be done. "

Arlutrix sat on the floor, crossed his legs, and leaned against the wall. You were confused by his words and shook them out of your head, trying to think of a way to prolong your journey back.

   " Can we stay tomorrow night and journey the following day? "

   " You have been gone too long; we must return as soon as possible. "

   " But tomorrow is the first part of the winter festival, and I want to see it. I haven't seen it before and want to stay and watch the festivities. "

   " My lady-"

   " Please. Before I'm tied down to that godless manor. "

With a defeated sigh, Arlutrix nodded and turned his head away to look at the corner. With his agreement, your body eased a little, and you relaxed. However, it didn't take long before you fell asleep on the bed with your wrists still tied together. Arlutrix didn't sleep but kept a watchful eye on you, afraid you would escape again.