Chapter 37: Finding A Lost Connection

Arlutrix looked at the man in front of him, wondering if he was hallucinating. The man certainly looked like the older version of his father, but Arlutrix's father was dead. The stranger wore black robes with matching black boots on his feet. His hood was down, revealing his face. His turqoise eyes matched Arlutrixs' eyes. His hair was black, stretching down to his ears, but some strands were light grey, showing his age. His face had black stubble, but the rest remained clean. 

   " Is that your name? Arlutrix? "

   " Yes. You're not my father are you? "

   " I-I am. I've been traveling, and looking for you. "

   " I'm sorry, but you can't be my father. My father died in the fire that happened in Vumaedal long ago. "

The older man smiled before walking closer to Arlutrix. Arlutrix remained in place, keeping his eyes on the man walking towards him, prepared to battle if he needed to.

   " Your mother was Isabell, and she was married to Lord Theon, but later we met and fell in love. She had an affair with her husband, and we were given a miracle; you. Later, Lord Theon found out, and due to the king's decree, their houses separated, then I married your mother. "

   " Everyone knows that. Nothing about that has changed around towns, except for my mother's attitude. "

   " Not long after you were born, Arlutrix. You were so little. You had your sparking when you were six years old. Your sparking was blue, but the first spell you learned was controlling chains. A year later, I found your poor mother. . .dead in our room, and then I saw red, destroying everything around me. I last saw you when the guards were taking me away to the castle. "

   " But my father was executed. "

   " No, my son, I was not. Many rumors have gone around about the story, but the ending is true in one of the rumors. You only assumed I died, but I was exiled out of Vumaedal. "

   " . . .Let's talk somewhere else. It's not good to talk here. "

Arlutrix walked away with the man following behind. The mage didn't move to go to the inn; he wouldn't head there. The talk that would occur needed to be out of earshot, but he wasn't willing to risk your safety. Arlutrix walked to a corner of town where a rock bridge hovered over a small river. He sat down on the thick wall rail, setting the basket on the ground. His 'father' sat across from him, folding his hands together and looking at ARlutrix with a soft smile.

   " If you are my father, then explain to me, what happened in the castle? "

   " After I was in front of the king, I explained my story. Surprisingly, the king took pity on me and invited me for a walk around his garden. He was a kind older man. I walked with him, and he explained that he had also lost his wife years ago. Vumaedal had just ended a war, but there were still some people in retaliation for Vumaedal winning the war. An assassin entered the castle and killed his wife while he was away signing the documents. The killer left a note behind, stating that they were not satisfied. So, the king understood my frustration and anger at the people. "

The older man's soft smile disappeared, and he turned his head to look forward at the other side of the bridge. The wind softly blew by, pulling his hair with it. The snow reflected against him, brightening his dark clothes a little, but his sad expression couldn't be illuminated at that time.

   " He offered me a deal. He said the agreement was that he would protect your identity, but I had to leave Vumaedal. "

   " But you're still here. "

   " He didn't want me around the major cities. Like the one, we lived in. The king said that I would be recognized as a criminal in the big cities and that I should leave Vumaedal entirely or stay in the smaller towns. In return, he would start a rumor that he executed me. Then, he would protect your name from society so that you would not be involved. I took the deal. "

   " You couldn't take me with you? "

   " No, I had to leave immediately if anyone found out the truth. If anyone did, they would retaliate against the king, who only understood what it was like to lose your only love. There wasn't time to look for you and run. "

   " Then what about the supposed curse you placed on the king? The king died within the next week. "

   " Arlutrix, the king was as old as the kingdom itself. If he didn't die the next week, I would have given him two weeks left. He was heartbroken when he was young after losing his wife and suffered for years. I didn't curse him; it was just his time to go. "

   " Then, why have you never contacted me? "

   " Well. . .I didn't think you wanted to see me. I suddenly start killing people angrily; the king apprehends me all while you watch. Then, I disappear. I didn't know how you would feel about me or if you wanted to see me. I thought it best to let you live independently and learn things that a boy shouldn't know until he was older. Years pass, and I suddenly hear a story in a village about a man found using magic to escape a church with a woman. I traveled back to Vumaedal, close to the smaller cities, and that's when I heard your name, and I knew it was you. "

   " You didn't try to help me? "

   " I wanted too, but I haven't been in the town for so long, and I'm getting old. I can practically feel my back hurt, sometimes. "

Arlutrix turned his head away and looked behind himself at the river below. The blue waters were clear of any fish, but his mind was anything but straightforward. The older man looked toward his son before placing a hand on Arlutrix's shoulder. Arlutrix turned his head to look at his father, noticing tears in the man's eyes.

   " I've missed you, son. Every day I hoped you were alive and well. As soon as I heard the news, I started looking everywhere for you, but I couldn't find you until now. "

The man hugged Arlutrix tightly, wrapping his arm around Arlutrix's back and holding him close, with his other hand pressing Arlutrix's head into his shoulder. The mage hesitated for a moment before burying his eyes in his father's shoulder, letting his tears flow down his face and onto his father's robes. Arlutrix hugged his father tightly, enjoying the warmth he had missed for years. Then, after their loving moment, his father pulled away from his son but kept his hand on Arlutrix's shoulder.

   " Now, tell me everything that's happened. I'll help you form here on. "

So, Arlutrix started telling his story to his father. He talked with his father about his young life until he entered the city with you unconscious. Then, he told his father everything, not leaving a single detail out.