Chapter 11: Preparations

You awoke at the sun's rise to see flowers on your bedside table. The flowers were roses colored red, the color of the Isembald household. Beside the bouquet, there was a note. You grabbed the letter and started reading it, your brain processing the words.

My dear,

I have left to discuss matters with the king. His party is tonight, and as we are old friends, he wishes for my help planning. 

You looked beautiful this morning, and I couldn't bear waking up that peaceful face of yours. I will be back later tonight to take you to the party; please be ready by then, so we can make it before the ball ends. 

I will see you tonight.

Sincerely, Bobby

You set the note aside and pulled the covers away from your body. As you dressed for the day, a list of things you needed to do before the ball tonight went through your head. Once ready, you took your coin purse and left the house, leaving Arlutrix in the living room.

   ' I should follow her. But I don't want to get too close to her. If the public sees me walking with her after the last time, they will only think of things negatively. I just need to wait for the rumors to die before I can walk again with her in public and adequately protect her. '

Your steps were fast through the square as you went to various shops, looking for the needed items. A basket, rope, and a traveling bag wouldn't be much. But, everything could be found easily, and when you took the rope, you lied to the shopkeeper, who looked suspiciously at you. The lie worked, and the shopkeeper believed you planned to make crafts with the rope for your future husband. The only thing left was food; you knew where to get it. 

Cecilia and Genevive's house wasn't far from the main square, and you got there in a small run. You hid the rope in the basket before knocking on the door. After knocking, Genevive was the first person to open the door.

   " Y/n! What are you doing here? "

   " I came for some food. I know Cecilia always makes too much food for you both. "

   " Food? Are you in some trouble? "

   " Well, it's not trouble per say, but I'll explain when I'm inside. "

Genevive nodded and opened the door wider, allowing you inside. Immediately you went to the kitchen and started looking through the baked goods and sandwiches that Cecilia had left behind before going to the bakery that morning. 

   " Genevive, I'm running away. "

   " Running away? " She asked, shocked.

   " Yes. I cannot marry Lord Isembart, and with how much gossip goes through this town, I need to leave. "

   " Y/n, are you sure running away is the best option? I mean--I will support anything you do, but I just don't want to lose a friend. "

You stopped packing the basket and looked toward Genevive, who had a sorrowful look on her face. You approached your friend and hugged her tightly, with Genevive squeezing you back.

   " Yes, I need to leave. If I don't, I'll be in a loveless marriage and suffer until I pass. I don't want to marry him, but my mother's will plans the wedding, not mine. If I don't leave Vumaedal I'll be found easily, seeing as Lord Isembart knows the king. You are not losing me, I will certainly come and visit when the time is right, but I need to go for now. "

Genevive didn't speak and nodded her head. She squeezed you once more before helping you pack the basket full of foods and treats that would last you two weeks if proportioned correctly. After filling the basket full, you hugged Genevive again and told her to inform Cecilia of the decision she had made.