Chapter 17: Dancing with Cream Puffs

Snow started to sprinkle on the town, coating everything in a cloud of white dust. The decorations the villagers had hung around town resembled the snow perfectly and blended in, making the silver tones of some stand out amongst the white snow. The festival began when the sun had fallen and the moon had risen. 

People danced through the streets with smiles as they eagerly went to the square of dancers in the middle of town. No fire kept people warm since the city embraced the cold weather. But there were people playing instruments and keeping the spirit of winter alive as people danced to their melodies. Food was served from the bakery and kitchens but would be free for the night until the sun would rise. Lanterns hung above the people's heads, lighting the area as everyone danced, imprinting their footprints in the snow. 

Walking towards the fun, you smiled, watching everyone dancing and cheering. You still wore the same dress and boots you escaped with, but Arlutrix gave up his warm robes to wrap them around your shoulders as soon as you exited the inn. Instead of revealing his tight shirt underneath, he summoned another robe. 

   " This looks like so much fun! "

   " Why are these people so happy about the snow? It kills crops, it's cold--"

   " Because their not sticks in the mud, Arlutrix. Let them be happy. "

You didn't know anyone there, but the energy radiating from the people kept the smile on your face uplifted. Arlutrix watched as you clapped to the music, looking carefree among the strangers. His small smile appeared on his lips, watching your fun attitude. 

   " Let's eat, and then we can keep enjoying the festivities. "

   " Sounds great! Let's head to that bakery and get something light. "

Walking side by side, you and Arlutrix walked into the first bakery you could find. The baker was jolly, with a long brown mustache, with chocolate eyes to match. He handed out cream puffs, slices of bread, cookies, and treats to people walking in. Arlutrix walked up to the baker, leaving you to stand at the door, watching him talk with the man. You noticed the small smile that played on Arlutrix's lips, making your smile widen.

   ' He's enjoying this. '

Arlutrix returned to your side with two cream puffs filled with a rich cream that would explode when you bit into the pastry. Yours was gone quickly while Arlutrix ate his slowly, savoring the taste. 

   " That was really good. I haven't had a cream puff in a long time. "

   " They are delicious. I think it's the best think I've eaten so far. "

   " Well, while you continue to enjoy yours I'm going to go dance. "

You jogged to the circle of dancing people while Arlutrix stood on the sideline eating his cream puff, still smiling slightly. The crowd welcomed you into their dance, and you linked hands with two villagers, spinning in a circle. Twirling, jumping, no matter the dance, the villagers had fun while the music played, with you joining in. 

Arlutrix finally finished his cream puff and watched as everyone danced around with smiles. Then, the music shifted and became fast, with the people around grabbing a partner. You noticed Arlutrix had finished his cream puff and ran towards him, holding his hand with both of yours.

   " Come join! "

   " I don't dance. "

   " You did at the ball. "

   " That's different. That was slow and elegant, this is fast and free. "

   " So? It's just like ballroom dancing, but faster and if you emss up, you can make it part of the dance. "

You pulled Arlutrix into the spinning circle of people and held his hand tightly as you grabbed his arm. Then, Arlutrix instinctively put his arm around your waist and held your hand tightly, not understanding what to do precisely.

   " Just don't think about it! "

You led the dance, twirling around with him following. Eventually, Arlutrix let his feet move without his brain telling them where to go. The mage took the lead, dancing, pulling you with him, and a big smile appeared. He was having fun. Arlutrix twirled you around, keeping pace with the band's fast beat. The snow under your feet revealed cobble as everyone danced the snow away from under their feet.

The song was close to the end, and in a final dance move, Arlutrix let go of your waist and flung you outward, only to pull you back in. You twirled as you were pulled back in, and once you were close, Arlutrix wrapped his arm around you again, pressing your back against his chest as the music stopped. But snow poured on top of everyone dancing, leaving snow piles on everyone's heads and around the ground they cleared. 

   " We were having so much fun the snow fell harder! "

   " The roofs must have been dancing too! "

  " Some of the shingles even fell! "

Above the group of dancing people, the snow had slid off the roofs due to the loud music and the thundering footsteps of the people dancing. At the song's end, the snow slid off the roof and fell on everyone dancing. Everyone in the crowd laughed and cleaned themselves off of the snow. 

Arlutrix wiped his head from the snow, but there were still a few white specks in his hair. You had already cleaned your head of the snow, but Arlutrix took it further, whipped your shoulders, and caressed your cheeks to wipe the snow from your skin. Blood rushed to your cheeks, creating a blush that could be seen by Arlutrix, who suddenly felt his blush appear on his light chocolate skin. He finished wiping your face clear of the snow before pulling away and coughing into his hand.

   " Well, let's be on our way. The dancing took a lot of energy out of me. "

You nodded your head and walked beside Arlutrix back to the inn. Again, the blush was molded onto your face until you entered the shared bedroom in the inn and lay on the bed while Arlutrix dismissed himself. 

   ' What am I doing? ' Arlutrix asked himself as he sat at the bar beside the inn.

His drink was in front of him, but the cup was empty. Arlutrix covered his face with his hands, trying to get rid of the blush still on his cheeks, but the blush would only continue to increase as he drank more and more as the waiter poured his drink. Many girls came to his side, but he didn't look at any of them with the desire Lord Isembart showed Eve in his drunken stupor.