Chapter 9: The Losing Dress

You walked through the cobblestone streets toward the dress shop, where your mother was waiting. Today, you would look at dresses, but you would surprise your mother with something she couldn't disagree with. You spotted your mother standing outside the shop with her hands folded, and she was looking around the square. When her eyes landed on you, she smiled and waved at you.

   " Over here dear! "

You didn't respond and met your mother at the door. Your mother instantly grabbed your arm, and she linked her arm with yours, trying to pull you into the shop. However, shouts, and calls, stopped your mother from dragging you inside the dress shop. Turning, you saw Cecilia and Genevive coming towards you and your mother.

   " Honey, what are they doing here? " Your mother asked.

   " If I'm going to pick a wedding dress, I would like my best friends to be with me. This is a crucial part in my life is it not? "

Your mother huffed, found no argument to use against you, and smiled at your best friends. The duo hugged you, smiling with their eyes bright and full of excitement. Even though this was an unwanted marriage, it would still be fun trying on dresses with your friends helping. There was a brief greeting between them and your mother before you stepped into the dress shop. Beautiful dresses of indigo rose and cream danced around the shop while the shopkeeper sat at her counter, reading a book. 

   " Excuse me, miss; I had a dress brought and tailored to fit my daughter. "

The shopkeeper looked up from her book with her blonde hair bouncing with her, and a smile made of plaster was on her lips. The book she was reading was placed down on the wooden counter, and she walked to the back area. She reappeared without saying any words and had a dress in her hands. The keeper held the white dress by the shoulders, and you felt a sickening feeling in your stomach. The dress was one your grandmother wore at her wedding, and then your mother wore it at hers. The white dress was tailored to fit you perfectly, but it wasn't the dress you wanted. 

   " Oh, it's perfect, darling! I cannot wait to see you in this dress. Let's try it on while you're here! " Your mother shouted excitedly.

   " Let's not. I'm fine with how it is; let's go home. "

Grief was the only emotion you felt, looking at the dress. You gave your mother the benefit of the doubt and believed you would plan a dress out together and have it made, but it seems other arrangements were made. 

   " Oh, no, you must try it! We can check if it needs to be tighter or looser. "

The dress was put into your hands, and your mother placed her hands on your back, pushing you toward a dressing room. Without resistance, you entered the small space in sorrowful spirits. Then, as slowly as possible, you put on the dress, leaving your comfortable clothing on the floor. 

   ' I don't like this. . .'

The dress was too tight, squeezing your body to the point you couldn't move your knees. The sleeves were long and, in the end, fanned out around your hands. White sleeves squeezed your arms to your chest, where both the left and right sleeves connected. Then the dress climbed up your torso toward your neck, choking you a bit. Around your legs, the skirt flared out but kept a tight grip on your knees. Designs were gone from the dress, and all that decorated the layers of white was lace that climbed up your body and made you itch.

With difficulty, you raised your hand and pulled the curtain to the side, stepping out of the dressing room. Your mother gasped, but your two best friends didn't look as happy. 

   " It's beautiful! And it fits perfectly! "

   " Mother, I think it's a bit too tight. "

   " Nonsense, it's supposed to be tight; your future husband can see exactly what he will be marrying. "

   " You're talking as if I'm a piece of meat about to be served as dinner. "

   " Oh, don't be so dramatic, honey. I'll go pay the tailor, and then, start searching for a dress for myself. I'll need one for the ball, and for your wedding. "

Your mother walked back to the tailor, excitedly pulling out her coin purse. Cecilia and Genevive came your way, looking your body up and down.

   " Y/n, I hate to say this, but that dress is not for you. " Cecilia said, pointing around at the lace.

   " I know, but could you two help me back into the dressing room? I can barely move. "

Both girls nodded and guided you back to the dressing room, and Genevive stayed inside the dressing room to help you. Without Genevive, you were sure you wouldn't be able to remove the dress. But, once the white fabric was stripped off, you could finally breathe and feel comfortable in your skin again. Quickly, you dressed while Genevive left the dressing room.

   " There's no way, I'm keeping this dress. "

You took the tight wedding dress off the floor as soon as your old dress was fitted back on. Then, as you walked with firm footsteps toward the shopkeeper, the curtains were pushed aside. Your mother was searching around the shop for dresses and was distracted, giving you time alone with the shopkeeper. 

The woman was rereading her book and didn't acknowledge your presence, even when you were standing right in front of her counter. Genevive made the first move and called for the woman politely, but the woman didn't respond or acknowledge Genevive. Instead, she looked up from her book when Cecilia's hand appeared in the woman's line of sight. Again, the woman didn't speak but looked toward you and your friends, alert. 

   " Hi, I know my mother has already paid for the dress, but I want to make some changes. Is that okay? "

The woman's eyes squinted, and her gaze was directed toward your lips as you spoke. Then you realized why the woman was acting so strange. So you spoke again, but this time slower.

   " Can I make some altercations to this dress? "

The woman understood and took out a piece of paper with a charcoal pencil and set it in front of you, writing words at the top of the page. Her writing was beautiful, with swirls, and almost resembled written calligraphy. When she finished writing, she slid the paper closer to you, and you looked toward the gorgeously curved lines.

Sure! You can draw the dress out or write what you want to change. And don't worry about paying for the altercations. You can pay me later. Getting married is very costly, so pay me afterward when you have the coin. 

   " Thank you. " You slowly spoke.

With a small smile, the woman nodded and returned to reading her book as you hovered over the paper with Cecilia and Genevive at your sides.

   "Change the size of the dress first. I couldn't hardly breathe let alone walk in it. "

   " You looked like you were struggling. Your face started to turn purple, like a grape. " Cecilia said, giggling.

   " Hey, you try this dress on, and see how long you can last. "

   " Oh, it wouldn't be long. The buttons and straps on that dress would instantly break, if I tried to put it on. "

Your trio laughed at Cecilia's confidence and started to write down the changes you wished to have on the dress. The entire dress practically changed. The fabric would be softer, with not as much lace, the length would change, and the size would be bigger, so you could breathe and walk. Your mother wouldn't know the dress had changed until the wedding day when it was too late to complain.