Chapter 12: The Night of the Ball

The ride was smooth through the square and toward the castle on the hill. You didn't comment on Lord Isembart, and he kept silent, looking outside the window. Neither of you spoke until the carriage stopped outside of the golden castle. Lord Isembart got out of the carriage and offered you his hand this time. 

   " Arlutrix set the carriage and met me inside. As a servant, you must stay near me and in my eye sight. "

   " Yes, my lord. "

Arlutrix whipped the horses, and they pulled the carriage away from the castle's entrance. With your hand still in his, Lord Isembart started toward the entrance, where everyone else was heading. Around you, women were dressed in elegant gowns that seemed to be made of the rarest material. Men wore their best clothes and wrapped one of the regal woman's arms around them. Entering the golden castle, you saw more beautiful gold decor, with a mix of red here and there through the hall. 

Before going any further, Lord Isembart stopped and looked outside the castle. Peeking outside, you spotted Arlutrix coming up the stairs, with his robes flying behind him, as he was fast to come up the steps. Arlutrix met you and Lord Isembart at the top of the stairs, slightly out of breath.

   " Alright, let us be going. "

Lord Isembart continued forward, disconnecting his arm from yours. Arlutrix stayed behind you and Lord Isembart as you walked toward the doors into the ballroom. The sparkling doors ahead of you were closed, but two guards soon opened them, revealing the large ballroom with people dancing at the bottom of the stairs. 

   " Lord Isembart and Lady Y/n! " The announcer shouted to everyone in the hall.

Lord Isembart smiled, liking the recognition, and started walking down the stairs, grabbing your hand to follow him. Arlutrix followed behind, not saying a word. There were many people in the crowd, but a certain happy shriek, erupted, and you recognized the voice. 

   " Lord Isembart, it's lovely to see you here! "

Your mother ran toward Lord Isembart and hugged him before turning to you. Her smile dimmed slightly, and the corners of her lips turned downward for a second. 

   " Honey, you look. . .nice. I honestly thought the dress would look great on you, but it seems it was better off you and in he box. "

   ' Who says that to their daughter? ' You questioned.

Your mother returned to talk with Lord Isembart while your father hugged and complimented you, even though you knew his compliments were wrong. Nevertheless, he was trying, and you appreciated that. Then, while your fiance was distracted, you fled from his side. The room was packed, but you made it to the other side of the big circle, where everyone was dancing. The number of people in the room didn't bother you, but what bothered you was the rude people that would bump into you and continue walking without an apology.

But you made no comment toward them and let them go; you knew it wasn't worth your time to turn and argue with them. 

   " My lady! "

Behind you, Arlutrix shouted for his lady, and you turned around to hear his shout. Your eyes connected with Arlutrix's, and he made his way through people to get to you. Arlutrix was slick, maneuvering through people and not letting anyone bump his shoulder. It was like he had turned into a snake and slithered through the crowd. When he was in front of you, he took your upper arm ins his hand, holding you gently.

   " Why did you walk away? My master will worry. "

   " If he worries, he can come to find me. I am just walking around, there is no harm in that. "