Chapter 38: A Father's Healing Touch

" She's injured quite severely. "

After the long catch-up, Arlutrix invited him into the shared room to ask about your condition. You were still unconscious, lying on the bed, but you had developed a sweat when Arlutrix was gone.

   " She was stabbed in the woods. I tried to heal her, but I don't know if it was too late or. . ."

   " Well, you're lucky. She's still with us, but her body is just healing. However, it seems she's developed a fever. So she might have caught a sickness or infection. "

   " Great. That's just what we need right now. "

Arlutrix's father turned toward his son, keeping his hands together. But he noticed how Arlutrix's eyes were moving slowly, as well as the dark skin underneath Arlutrix's eyes. He sighed and sat on the bed, putting his palms together.

   " Arlutrix, you need rest. You've lost too much energy to use any more magic. This healing process is still draining you. "

   " I know, but I can't stop healing her. The wound has to recover fully, before the magic can go away. "

   " Then, I will heal her. "

His father pulled his palms apart, with a sphere of black magic floating between his hands. Black wisps danced around the magic and followed the older man's movements. Finally, his father touched his hands to your stomach, sealing his black magic with your body and healing the wound.

   " Take your magic off, and rest. My spell will heal her while you get some rest. I'll make sure nothing happens while you sleep, and if something does happen I will take care of it. "

   " Father--"

   " Rest, Arlutrix. If you want to protect her, you have to be able to use your magic and wits. You can't do that if you're exhausted. "

His father walked to a corner of the room and left the room to go to his room; he stayed in the inn. Arlutrix was left alone with you, exhausted. Sluggishly, the warlock walked to the bed and sat down on the sheets. He moved your body a little before lying down on the bed beside you. His arms wrapped around your waist, turning you, and bringing you closer to his body. Your head rested against Arlutrix's chest while his arm wrapped around you, settling.

   " I promise we will get to Silv together. I swear it. "

Arlutrix fell into a deep sleep, holding you close to keep warm and embrace you. In the room next door Astor stood in his room, looking out of his window at the town. He was happy to see his son after so many years, and he still couldn't believe that he was reconnected with him again. The older mage looked into the inner pocket of his robe, looking for a charm. His hand went into the pocket and grazed a gold chain before pulling the necklace out. Astor held the necklace in front of him and held the locket. The engraving on the front was of a lily with wisps flying around it. On the back were the initials: I. C.

   " Oh, dear. . ."

Astor opened the locket and looked between the two pictures. The picture on the locket lid was of him in his younger days. At the same time, the other painting was of his wife, Isabell. She was smiling gracefully. Her eyes looked like they held a secret behind them, alluring him. Astor smiled, but tears dripped off his chin. 

   " My lady. . .Isabell, I found our son. . .I found him. . ."

Astor kneeled to the floor, crying, holding the locket close to his heart as he released his sorrow into the locket. In times like this, his wife would place her hand on his back and hug him from behind, but she was gone.