Chapter 36: Old Friends

Arlutrix passed through two villages before settling down in the third village he crossed. He said no words to anyone except the inn's owner, asking for one room. The owner gave Arlutrix the key without questions about the unconscious girl in his arms or the blood staining his clothes. Once inside the room, Arlutrix set you on the bed, throwing pink sparks toward your chest. The warm clothes you were wearing slowly transformed into comfortable clothes that wouldn't hurt your skin or irritate the wound as it healed. 

Looking at his clothes, he saw the torn cloth, blood, and water that drenched his clothes. The blood made his hands shake as he started changing his clothes. If it were anyone else's blood, he wouldn't be surprised, but it wasn't anyone's; it was yours. His clothes changed into the robe and thin clothes he had before starting the journey. The tank top underneath his clothing changed into a long-sleeved shirt to keep his arms warm.

Once his clothes finished changing, he sat on the floor, leaning against the bed frame. Arlutrix was at a loss. He had hoped that he had started the healing process in time before your soul left the world. The black wisps on your stomach told him you were still healing, but it was taking a long time, which concerned him. 

He sat on the floor for a while before he went to the market. The sun had started rising in the sky when he entered the village; the markets were open by now. All his possessions were taken while in the castle, including his money. But he had his magic, which would be helpful enough.

The market was bustling with the early morning crowd, with people hovering over stalls constantly. As he did in his younger days, he would walk by the stalls and call for the food products to float to him while the owner was occupied. He even stole a basket to store the food products. Carrots, beets, strawberries, and other foods sat in his basket while he passed by everyone. His basket became so full stall owners started to take notice and try to sell items to him, ruining his hidden appearance.

   "Young man, why don't you buy some fish? You can have a nice stew, or some stirfry--"

   "No, thank you. I have plenty of foods. "

   'Everyone's taking notice of me now. I won't be able to steal any more food. How ironic, they all think I'm rich. '

Arlutrix walked away from the market with a smirk as he returned to the inn, feeling exhausted. His steps were sluggish, but he maintained his calm appearance as he walked through the streets toward the inn, where you lay unconscious. 

   "Excuse me, young man have we met before? "

Arlutrix stopped in his steps and looked toward a man looking at him. The older man had a white beard that matched his hair, but Arlutrix did recognize him.

   "You're the baker from the winter festival. "

The man smiled, happy to be recognized by the young man. The baker patted Arlutrix's back, still smiling at him.

   "Yes, I am! I thought I recognized you. I'm visiting my sister's bakery, but someone is missing from your side. Where is your friend? "

   "She's. . .not doing well. "

   "I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe something warm will help her. "The baker said with a sad smile.

The baker gestured to the open bakery, where the smell of cookies, bread, and delicious desserts emanated. Arlutrix shook his head, showing the baker a small smile.

   "I appreciate it, my friend, but I have spent all my money in the market. We haven't had the greatest last few days, and now we finally have food. I couldn't take from you without giving anything back. "