Chapter 40: Refuge

The trip through the border was rough, with guards attacking from different directions. Arlutrix's father took care of the guards for the most part, but after two days, both men were exhausted and weary from their travels. Astor was right; no villages were on the route East toward Silv. The men were left to camp through the night in the open, with only a small fire to keep them warm. You never showed signs of waking up but instead continued to grow ill. Arlutrix was worried but didn't dare use his magic. He feared something would go wrong if he messed with your body's natural healing process. 

During the night, one man would stay awake while the other would sleep, and then they would swap after a few hours. Tonight Arlutrix sat awake, looking out into the world, as your body laid against his, covered with his robe. The cold pinched his skin, but he didn't mind it. Arlutrix grew calm with the cold air, welcoming the pinch. The mage looked toward you, looking at your rosy red cheeks. He couldn't stop hugging you tightly, squeezing your body close to his. 

   " I wish I could heal you. I'm sorry I can't. "

   ' But I understand why. I have to be able to see the injury to heal it. Illness is something completely different from a stab wound. '

The warlock hugged you tightly, but soon, his happiness was torn down by sounds coming from the woods. It was footsteps he heard, and they sounded close. Arlutrix held his hand out, preparing to fight whoever was approaching, waiting for their face to be revealed. But, instead, the footsteps were light, and Arlutrix listened carefully for the wanderer's footsteps. Soon, the figure emerged, but Arlutrix felt his hand ease down, and the magic he had summoned disappeared. A small fox had appeared out of the woods, looking around before its black eyes looked at Arlutrix. The small fox didn't get closer than a foot to ARlutrix, and the mage smiled slightly.

   ' She did say the next time I saw a fox, I could pet it. '

Arlutrix held his hand toward the fox, who jumped back from the mage. The fox didn't approach his hand as quickly as he wanted, but he slowly walked up to Arlutrix, sniffing his hand. A soft hand was placed on the fox's head, and Arlutric was happy to see that it moved its head further into his palm. If there was one thing good about the day, it was the tiny fox that cuddled into his hand. 

But the happiness didn't last long when the fox's ears perked up, looking behind itself. The tiny creature ran off, leaving the mage defensive again, looking into the woods. The mage saw the shine of silver in the trees, and he summoned his green whips chains to wake his father. Astor woke up with a startle but quickly put himself in mode to attack or defend. Arlutrix stood with you on his back while his father summoned spells to help run from the soldiers. 

With a nod from his father, Arlutrix started flying away from the campsite to get to safety. Astor would catch up when the battle was over, but with one injured person, it wasn't about killing; it was about fleeing. Safety was the men's top priority, with you unconscious and sick. Arlutrix flew around the trees until he could see his vision turn hazy. His vision was becoming a mess as he went around the trees.

   ' I'm so tired. I haven't rested enough to use any energy. I'm tapped out. '

His body had enough, and the warlock stopped flying. Arlutrix fell into the snow, with you lying on his back. Arlutrix pushed against the ground, standing up with you on his back. He continued walking forward, but his back was hunched forward. He was exhausted and didn't have much energy left to continue, but he kept walking until a pair of boots was in front of him. Arlutrix looked up to see a woman with blonde hair and skin that looked like it was kissed by the sun. Her dress was gold, and her green eyes focused on Arlutrix. 

   " Who are you? " Arlutrix asked.

   " Queen Aileen Brite of Silv. Who are you? "

   " An exhausted traveler trying to get to Silv. Please, help up. We need help. "

Aileen looked at Arlutrix for a moment, with her brow raised before she crouched to the snow and held his arm. Then, she showed Arlutrix a calm, determined look and nodded.

   " I will do what I can. "

Alrutrix nodded and stood up, with Aileen's help, before she started pulling him further into the forest. Behind Arlutrix, he heard footsteps and turned to see his father running toward him and the queen. Astor had burns all over his face, with pieces of his clothes torn to shreds. His magic was messy enough to burn his clothes, but both men were exhausted. Behind Astor, guards were following but stopped seeing the woman in front of them. 

   " Step aside; this is official business. " One of the guards said.

   " I'm afraid not. These men are on Silv's grounds, and you are not apart of my royal guard to arrest them. "

   " Those two are wanted criminals. We must take them back to Vumaedal. "

   " They were criminals, but now they have entered my land, and you will not harm them while they are in SIlv's territory. Now, begone, before I call for my guards to escort you away from the border. You might be allies with Godfrey but not SIlv or Madrathia. "

The guards glared at the woman before sheathing their swords and walking away from the trio. Arlutrix visibly relaxed with you still on his back. Aileen looked down at the group before showing them a small smile.

   " Come, let's get some food, medical attention, and fire before you tell me your story. "

With the small amount of energy Arlutrix had left, he stood up and carried you into Silv, free from the blades of Vumaedal.