Chapter 33: The Day of Execution Pt.1

Days later, your mother walked into the hall and approached your cell. Your father was with her, but he didn't look happy. Your mother crossed her arms, looking at you inside the cell as you sat on the cold floor.

   " Well, are you ready to come out? "

   " You ask that, as if you put me in here. "

   " Be grateful you weren't killed. Let her out, please. "

The guard nodded and unlocked the cell for you. Your mother entered the cell and grabbed your wrist harshly, and pulled you out of the cell. She drew you outside, with your father behind, with no words being said. Leaving the building, you noticed nobody was on the street. It was quiet, and you could feel that something was wrong. You then remembered Arlutrix requested you to be contained until his execution.

   ' He's going to die today. '

Your heart dropped, and you felt sick, sitting in your mother's carriage heading for home. You turned your head to look out of the window toward the castle, where Arlutrix would be. Your father watched as you looked out the window with a sad glimmer and placed his hand on your shoulder.

   " Honey. . . "

   " Oh, don't baby her now. " Your mother scowled.

You glared at your mother, but the glare only sparked fire between you. Finally, your father's hand left your shoulder, understanding what was about to happen between you and your mother. 

   " What? Why are you looking at me with that nasty look? That is not proper edicacy. "

   " And so is insulting your daughter at a ball. "

   " It's not my fault you didn't look good in the dress. "

   " But it was you who gave me the dress. "

   " Because it looked good in the dress shop, but I was wrong to buy that for you. "

   " You're a terrible mother. "

   " And you're a terrible daughter. Who would run out on the chance to marry Lord Isembart, a wealthy, healthy man, for what; a new life? Get a grip, Y/n. There's a reason I dictated your life because I knew you would grow up rebellious. You're more like your father. What new life could you possibly want? You were going to have a husband that could support you for years with a business that took off, and he has close ties to the king! You would have a roof over your head, food to eat--"

   " That's not the point, mother! I. Didn't. Want. To Marry. Him. I never did! It was because you dictated my life that I became depressed, that I became rebellious, that I became a woman in my childhood. You never cared about me but for the status, you could have. You only saw me as a bargaining chip. "

Your mother's face turned red, with steam practically shooting out of her ears. Then, finally, your mother stood and held her fan tightly in her hands, raising it above her head.

   " You insolent brat! "

She threw down her closed fan, and it hit the side of your face, creating a red mark on your cheek. You turned your head back toward your mother, glaring at her. Your cheek hurt, and it felt like tiny needles were pricking, but you continued glaring at your mother.

   " So, now, you're resulting to abuse? Honestly, the best mother I could ask for. "

   " If one isn't enough, I'll hit you more until you shut that mouth! "

Your mother swung her fan again, but instead of hitting you this time, her fan never made contact with your fancy again. Your mother's eyes widened, and she glared at her husband, who stood up, holding his wife's wrist. You looked between your parents, feeling hope blossom in your chest. 

   " What. Are. You. Doing? " Your mother seethed. 

   " I've had enough. Stop the carriage! "

The carriage stopped immediately, pulling your body forward. Your father stood firmly while your mother fell against the seat, shocked. When the carriage stopped, your father opened the door and turned to look at you. You didn't expect your father to throw your sword in your lap polished.

   " Y/n, go. "

   " Go? What are you saying--"

   " Go to the castle, and save him. Then leave, Vumaedal, and live your life. I've had enough of this, and I should have stopped your mother long ago. Consider this my apology for not stepping up as a father all these years. " Your father said, interrupting your mother.

   " Dad. . ."

   " Go, Y/n. Your mother and I will be fine. Just get somewhere safe and send letters. And take one of the horses; it'll be faster. " He mumbled with a smile.

You left the carriage with your mother screaming inside without a second to waste. You unhooked one of the horses while the driver watched with an eyebrow raised. Once the horse was unhooked, you jumped on the horse's back and started heading toward the castle with your sword in hand, leaving your parents behind. Your mother stepped out of the carriage to look at your form, getting smaller and smaller the closer you got to the castle.

   " Do you realize what you just did? " Your mother yelled.

   " Yes, I do. Now get back in the carriage and sit down. Coachman, can you get us back with one horse? " Your father asked.

   " Y-Yes, sir. "

   " Great, now get back in and let's go home. "

   " I'm not getting in that carriage with you. Why would I--"

   " Get in the carriage, now! " Your father screamed.

Your mother stood silently before returning to the carriage, shutting the door behind herself. The coachman whipped the only horse attached to the carriage and continued the journey to your old home.