Chapter 4 - But a Distant Truth

Enjō settled down on the living room couch. "Explain." He uttered with his head in his hands.

"I'm sorry I tried to hide it from you, from either of you. It's an unhealthy habit of mine." Uyama sighed and sat down as well.

"What's going on?" Omega, who was already sat down, asked.

"I'll tell you the truth..." Uyama looked at Enjō.

"Hmph."

"When I was younger, my friend and I used to play together. I think he was my friend at least, but he must've thought himself to be a babysitter. That friend was Steele's father. As most people do at that age, we became curious of each other's souls. When I told him my ability, he brought me the Book of Zezel. I don't know why he had it, but he begged me to use my powers. I fell under pressure and did it. I learned many things, the future, the past, the present—as far as the universe was meant to go. But then, I forgot. I tried again, but I couldn't grasp it. All I had was a feeling that..."

Uyama clasped his hands together, "
Enjō grimaced and his head bent further down.

"I know he was." Enjō uttered painfully.

"I know." Uyama's eyebrows furrowed.

Omega was left speechless in the conversation. The atmosphere was not like the one he felt yesterday. He didn't know what to think, this was his first experience with trauma after all. He felt like helping, but he didn't know how. Though, he also didn't want to seem apathetic. Omega's face became riddled with conflict.

Uyama noticed and thought to himself, No...this is right. This was supposed to happen..

Enjō looked back up and side-eyed Uyama.

"Wait, you don't mean..." Enjō shouted before interrupting himself.

Omega was speechless, his face sat in befuddlement.

"I can't-I can't explain it." Uyama rubbed his forehead. "At some point during the examination, It felt as if I was blocked from going further, but I was exposed to many horrible truths before then. In shock, I had told
him what happened. He looked strange, but still remained the same person I knew. We never spoke of that day again, but I've never forgotten I started drinking and smoking not long afterward so that I could try to forget those truths, and I think it worked." Uyama explained softly.

Neither Omega nor Enjō conjured any sort of response, they just stared at Uyama.

Uyama sighed, "On that day, I vowed to never use my powers again, but I broke that vow when the Radiation Incident occurred. After investigating it, I gathered that our nation, Shacia's government had tampered with the nuclear bomb and deliberately manipulated the radiation to cause the incident. Ever since then, my mission has been to expose the government for what it truly is and aid in fixing it. I thought that the best start would be an inside job."

There was an uncomfortable silence in the room.

Uyama finally spoke up,"...But I think that's enough of the sad stuff. We should get lunch." Uyama stood up with a dismal look in his eyes, like his eyes lost all focus. He grabbed his keys, "C'mon guys, nothing some food can't fix," He smiled with his back turned to them.

———

Back when Steele left the apartment, as the door closed he dropped his slightly tensed shoulders. He grabbed a napkin from his black suit and wiped his forehead. He put the napkin back as he walked back to his white limo, bag in hand. Sitting down in the backseat, he placed the bag on the seat next to him.

"Master Steele, are you alright?" The driver asked worriedly.

"Shut it! You're not allowed to worry about me." Steele roared and corrected his position in his chair. "Bring me back, now."

"Yes sir." The driver gulped.

Steele picked up his phone to call someone.

"General Machida, how goes the investigation? Tell me you've made some progress, for your sake." He asked sternly.

"Sir, I promise we will find them soon. It'll be very significant to our cause." Machida replied valiantly.

"Right..." Steele murmured hesitantly,"...there's a better response. Don't make me regret giving you this position, Mister Machida. Oh yes, I forgot to tell you. The Omega's body has been recovered. It's one less worry on our shoulders, but don't let your guard down. Don't." Steele informed him earnestly.

There was no response for a while.

"Yes sir. May I return to my work?" Machida asked nervously.

"This group of assailants is not a joke, Machida. Don't take any chances and hurry your search before it's too late. You have my permission to get rid of them." Steele hung up the phone with a stern look in his eyes. He looked out the window and went silent.

"Sir?"

Machida looked at his phone," He already hung up."

"Surely they don't pose such a threat to him," Machida searched his file cabinet," The Purgatory Coupe... More like a cult really. They have a suspicious sense of justice, and I do see why he'd be interested in them, but such passion is unlike him. I may have to take this case more seriously..."