Chapter 24 - Way of the World

"Urgh, we made it," Uyama sat down in the seat in Division A after placing the luggage above them. He wiped his neck with a napkin, "It's-it's hot, isn't it?"

Omega rubbed his sweating hand and sat down in the middle seat. Enjō sat down in the left seat. "We didn't bring water?" Enjō asked, looking down the wide, steel aisle. "I'll go get some!" Enjō jumped up and ran down the aisle.

"Wait! You don't know where you're going, idiot!" He followed him until he looked back at Omega, "You wanna come? Or do you want us to bring something back?" Omega shook his head, returning his gaze to the window. I can still see the port. So many people hurrying. But for what? What's so important about this?

Omega looked back, Uyama had already left. He sighed, leaving his head on his palm.

"Excuse me?" A woman peeked her head past his seat, "You look dependable. Could you please hold my baby while I go get something for us? Please?" She showed her baby, still wrapped in cloth. Omega looked down at it in wonder. "Sure..."

"Oh, thank you! I'll just give her to you then..." She gently lowered the baby into Omega's open hands. "If she starts crying, all you need to do is hum something, she doesn't go a day without music. Well, I'll be going now, thank you again!" The woman bowed before running off.

Omega stared the baby in her eyes, What I want to do...

Now that I think about it, this has nothing to do with me. So why am I here? There's nothing to gain from this, or this.

Omega was zoned out in thought until he heard a cry. With a gasp he woke up from his conscious sleep and rocked the baby. "What did she say to do? Rock it? Make a funny noise? - Hum! I need to hum. There's only one song I know from Spade Mask. I hope that works."

Omega began to hum, his voice cracking at times. By the time the baby stopped crying, Omega's voice was already hoarse. The baby voiced a sound that resembled a "Meh.", as she turned to her side in his hands. Meh? Is that so? Omega watched the baby fall asleep, until he noticed a symbol on her shoulder. Is that... Omega?

Omega's hands began to tremble, suddenly becoming more delicate. Why adopt an Omega baby? That doesn't make sense! He thought again for a moment. Wait, she likes music. She cried! That's not normal! She's a special one, just like me!

Omega laughed for only a moment. "Just like me."

"So, how is babysitting paying you?" Kuro appeared beside his face, his body crawling down the seat.

Omega jumped, trying to keep the baby stable in his arms. "Where were you? You disappeared halfway through."

"It's an Omega," Kuro looked down at the baby, "Not gonna live long. She's brave for that. Or just stupid."

"Maybe not..." Omega mumbled.

"Well, I was just checking in. I'll be elsewhere on the ship." Kuro disappeared again, rustling off of the seat.

He's weird.

"THE GILA LINER IS NOW LEAVING PORT. BACK AWAY FROM THE SHIP."

Omega felt the floor tremble as the ship took off, it's insect-like legs jutting out and creepily treading the off-colored sand. Suddenly, he thought he heard a noise. Children playing ball, shouting at each other, laughing. He looked down at the baby, who was now wide-awake, but looking disoriented. Did she hear that too? He looked around at the other passengers, who seemed unbothered. What is going on here?

———

"What's so important about this conference anyway, General? Can't we just watch it on TV?" Kitt complained, airing out his t-shirt.