Chapter 11 - A Conversation

"Mmm," Steele wafted the steam of the sizzling steak to his nose.

He stood rigidly while cooking the steak, quickly looking away to check on the potatoes.

After finishing his cooking, he sat down at the dinner table in his home.

Steele grinned as he admired his cooking,
"A prime cut thick steak, seared to caramelize the surface, then cooked in the oven for 10 minutes. Alongside a sextet of golden brown potatoes, fried to a perfect crispy to soft ratio."

As he reached for a potato with his fork, his phone rang. He squeezed his fork and slammed it onto the wooden table. He dug into his pocket and answered the phone," What, Sheba?", in a newly calm tone.

"The body is gone."

Steele stopped to eat at least a little bit of potato.

"What are you saying?"

"The Omega's body, it's gone. It disappeared from the research facility yesterday night."

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes,"Did someone take it, or did it magically disappear?"

"Well the seal on the body didn't show any signs of damage or interference. It was in the same shape it was when it was first sealed."

"So what you're getting at is, I got swindled."

Sarcastically, Sheba reassured,"No...you could never get swindled."

I guess the Omega is more cunning than I thought. I bet even Uyama would be fooled by how realistic the body was, He thought.

"Looks like this is going to be a little more difficult than I thought. Sheba, call the Deputies for-"

"I don't work for you." She sternly interrupted.

He cleared his throat," I'm sorry, I'm just so used to being above everyone."

"...Do what you will, I'm just the messenger." Sheba ended the call.

Steele laid his phone down at the wooden table. "I think," He said to himself as he picked up his fork," Dinner is more important at the moment."

After finishing dinner, Steele washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen. He then sat down on the couch and scrolled through his contacts. Right before he picked a contact to call, he turned off the phone.

"I'm in control of this situation. I'll find him myself."

———

Uyama paced around the two unconscious agents, waiting for them to wake up. When they started to shift around, Uyama took the opportunity to sit down on the couch. They rubbed their eyes as they got up.

"Hey, I know you just woke up and all but just allow me to explain everything so you don't have to report me?" Uyama put his hands out and proposed.

"The smoke bomb that I used was only to distract him, he's in my custody, I've already set up an appointment to-."

The two men had barely been listening since they've just woken up, leaving the apartment without second thought.

Uh..." Uyama's arms dropped to his legs,"...o...kay."

Uyama sighed and texted Enjō to come back whenever, and fell back on the couch.

"Tired after just one punch, huh." He grumbled.

Right as he was about to fall asleep, the doorbell rang.

Uyama threw his hands up in the air," Woohoo. Another visitor."

He got up to open the door, and there stood Steele again. The air got heavy and thick by his presence alone.

Oh shit, did he figure it out? Uyama thought.

"Hello, Uyama. How has your evening been?" Steele asked," Do you remember the body of the Omega that you got?"

"Yes, I do sir. Did something happen to it?"

"Well it disappeared, magically apparently..."

"...I was thinking I could relay the information to you, he may come back and do something heinous here."

"...Thank you, sir."

"Well you seem quite shocked. Anyway, I was honestly hoping to talk to him. As one of the rare Omegas in the world to live to their adolescent years, he's quite the special person."

"Well, you're sure to find him sir, especially with your Viper Thumb!" Uyama faked a compliment.

"I won't be resorting to my soul's abilities. All I really want to do is make conversation, to understand this Omega." He put up a strange grin.

He's not...lying at all.

"No objections I assume?"

Still staring through Steele, Uyama responded," No, no sir."

"Good," Steele looked down at him with a grin as he turned to leave," Keep up the good work, Man of Truth."

———

Omega's eyes shifted open and saw that he was sitting in an alleyway. He started to feel slight pain in his legs and bottom. He lifted his head to see Enjō talking on the phone.

"Got it! I just gotta go grocery shopping again, then I can stop by." Enjō replied enthusiastically.

He lowered the phone and looked back at Omega," Yo, can ya get up?"

Omega sleepily stood back up and nodded.

"Sorry 'bout the sudden run n' gun, but we were gonna get trampled if I didn't grab ya," Enjō half-smiled. "Oh, and quick update, we can go back to the apartment now. I do have somewhere to be though, so I can drop you off after we go to the grocery store."

Omega stretched his legs," Uh, sure, why not."

They made their way to the grocery store when a man appeared in front of them, stopping them in their tracks.

The man patted a bench next to him,"Hello, Omega.

With a strange grin, he asked,"Might you be interested in a chat?"