Chapter 6 - A Wish

The next day, Omega woke up to silence in the apartment.

He groggily got up from his bed and walked out of his room. He didn't smell any of Enjō's breakfast, and neither Enjō or Uyama were there.

I guess I'll just wait for them to get here. He sighed as he sat down on the living room couch

He sat there for a while and as time passed by, he started to feel bored.

He was laid across the couch now, fiddling with his fingers. I think I should do something while I wait, right?

He sat up and scanned the room for something to do.

Maybe I can try something new. He picked up a bag of chips and scanned the ingredients on the back. He held his hand out and up and started to form a bulge of mass on his palm. The crispy chip was almost instantly created and laid on his palm.

The mass appeared on his palm again, repeating the process a couple of times.

After the third chip, he lost the strength to put his arm up. So the process of making it tired me more than the size of what I make.

He laid back onto the couch and looked at a houseplant near the front door. He lazily used his psychic powers to levitate it towards the couch.

The body I made of myself was supposed to be dead and bruised, that's what I thought of it being, but what if I were to think it was alive and well? He thought as he rubbed the plant's leaves.

Omega thought for a moment, and decided to ask Uyama for a botanical book when he got back. Then he laid back once again on the couch, realizing that distracting himself wasn't so simple. As he stared at the ceiling, he felt his thoughts starting to roam.

Why are they taking so long?

Where did they go?

Why didn't they tell me, or take me?

They'll be fine.

We'll be fine.

From there his thoughts began to target himself.

Will I be fine?

What if they don't come back and I'll be alone again?

...

I don't want to be alone again.

He palmed his forehead violently and shook his head.

"Just go to sleep..." Omega paused in hesitancy,"...Me..."

————

Omega woke up to a tap on his shoulder.

"Hey man, why're you sleeping on the couch? You have a very decent bed." Enjō was squatting down next to Omega.

Omega groaned and rubbed his face," Why were you gone for so long?"

"What? What do you mean? It's only 11 AM," Enjō questioned.

"Huh," Omega scratched his now messy hair," I must've been worrying too much."

"Anyway, get up and come to the kitchen." He grunted as he got up.

As Enjō left the room, Omega sluggishly moved off of the couch. As he entered the kitchen, he saw Uyama and Enjō standing at the counter with a white bag.

"Good morning, bird nest," Uyama teased.

Omega noticed and tried fixing his hair while Uyama kept talking.

"It's April 4th, so then it would have been April 2nd..." He began while looking at the calendar," So, I know it's a bit late, but it wasn't in my control. I wanna ask you something first though." Uyama walked to the living room with the bag in hand.

"You're an Omega, so you don't really remember your own birthday do you?"

Omega put his hands out of his hair and shook his head.

Uyama motioned Omega to sit down as he put the bag on the table.

"Well, I believe a person is really born the day they finally feel happiness. Whatever birthday you actually had wasn't real." Uyama began to grin.

Omega sat down across from him as Uyama took a container out of the bag.

"And I believe you were really born two days ago." Uyama opened the container revealing a small cake in the shape of an Omega symbol. Omega looked down at it in awe, then looked up to see Uyama's beaming smile. Omega's vision started to blur and his eyes burned.

"Happy late birthday!" Enjō yelled as he wrapped his arm around Omega's shoulder.

Omega burst into tears, and he didn't know why. He felt good, he felt great, but he cried. He stood up to hug Uyama as tightly as he could. They both began laughing into each other's shoulders.

"Man don't leave me outta this!" Enjō jumped into the group hug.

As their embrace loosened, Uyama sighed in relief," So, what're you going to wish for, Omega?"

"What? A wish?" Omega asked.

"Oh boy. You wish for something when you have a birthday bro," Enjō laughed.

"Oh, well I wish that-" Omega started.

Enjō shut Omega's mouth quickly," You're not supposed to say it out loud!"

"So which one is it then?" He muffled under Enjō's hand. Enjō removed his hand from Omega's mouth.

After a couple of seconds passed by, Omega nodded.

"I made my wish."

————

Back at the hospital, Machida was sitting on his hospital bed. There was a knock on the door. "...Come in," He muttered.

"Sir! What happened?" Iseri entered the room hurriedly.

"Ugh," He laid back down on the bed and muttered.

"I got stabbed. I can tell they were aiming for my kidney because of the way the stab looks. But god, do these people think I'm just some old man that can't handle a stab to the gut? I was only distracted." Machida looked away from Iseri.

"You seem perfectly healthy to me, sir. I'll let them know you can leave now." Iseri bowed as she turned to leave.

Machida grabbed her shoulder before she left. She stopped and turned back around, "Sir?"

Machida's arm dropped back to his side and he sighed.

"I have to confess something though," He hesitated," Iseri, you look up to me too much. I look up to myself too much as well. I think everyone does."

Machida's eyebrows furrowed as he seemed to regurgitate his words," I need to stop relying on myself. Anytime I've ever tried doing things myself it's never worked out. I think I'm weak. Iseri, do you think I'll be able to do anything right?" He covered his face with his hands as she sighed in relief.

"How many times have you tried to do something right?" Iseri questioned him as she corrected her glasses.

His eye peered at Iseri through his fingers.

"I don't think you're weak. Though, you're not strong because of your ability to get things done. You've tried doing so many good things by yourself. I think you're strong because you never gave up." Iseri smiled as she turned around and left the room.

As the door closed, Machida's hands left his face. He stared at the white ceiling and plastered a smile onto his face.

I already feel like I gave up a long time ago.