Chapter 20 - Fate's Hands

Omega opened his eyes, and as his vision returned, he laid his eyes on a red sky, and Enjō looked down at him.

"Not hurt, are you?" He turned to face the parking garage and he spoke softly in disbelief, "Well, would you look at that." Omega sat back up and dust flew in his eyes. They both coughed as they watched the remains of the parking garage fall to the ground. "I've seen a couple demolitions in videos, but nothin' beats seeing it up close." Omega jolted up, "Enjō! I forgot! There was a woman in there!"

Entranced by the falling debris, he stared at it as Omega ran past him," A woman? You got one before me?"

He lowered his gaze to Omega jumping over ruined concrete and suddenly choked on his spit, "Oh—oh shit! Why didn't you tell me before?!"

"Hey! What the hell happened?!" Another familiar voice resonated from afar. Enjō waved at him, "Uyama! There's a girl in the wreck!". Uyama quickly took off his suit as he ran to where they were.

They searched for thirty minutes. Even with Omega using his telekinesis, they couldn't find her or the mysterious being.

"Are you sure you saw a girl, Omega?" Enjō slouched with his hand on his back. Omega looked at his knuckles, remembering what he went through, "Maybe...maybe not."

Uyama sighed as he sat down on the bench,  "It's like nobody's noticed the entire thing collapsed." He looked around as people walked past, unaware of the now-demolished building. Turning back around, Uyama changed the subject, "Omega, why were you even here? How did you end up here by yourself?" He sounded stern.

Omega's eyes drooped, "I...went alone. I didn't want to have to rely on you two. I didn't want you all to save me again." Uyama's eyebrows furrowed, "Idiot," he walked up to Omega and placed his hands on his shoulders, " You're young, so I'll tell you now." Uyama's eyes shined," Relying on others? It's the most human thing you can do." They both stood still as Enjō watched from afar, "The reason we're all together, the reason Enjō and I found you, there's one reason behind all of that. That's at least what I think. Do you know what that is?" Omega shook his head softly.

"It's fate, kid. As long as we have our own fate, you'll never have to be alone." Uyama pulled him in for a hug. Omega's arms rose from his side, softly wrapping around Uyama's surprisingly rough back. He looked up over his shoulder and looked at the sky. Just as he was about to rest his head, he saw someone approaching.

"Could you lot give me an explanation as to what happened?" Iseri walked up to the demolition site with her equipment strapped to her back. Uyama turned his head and quickly let Omega out of his grasp. Embarrassingly, he said, "Oh it's you. Iseri, right?"

"Sure is. Answer the question, please." Iseri had a new, stern look to her. Omega stepped forward, "Why are you here?".

"I was sent by General Machida to protect you from..." She paused to think, "...that thing." Enjō walked up next to Omega, "What was that thing, Omega?". Omega scratched his hair, "I'm not sure. It looked out of this world. It tried to say something- like it was dumbing itself down so I could understand it."

"...Well, he's not lying." Uyama randomly inputted while scratching his beard. "You were doubting him?" Enjō gasped. "Would you—would you have believed that if you didn't see it yourself?!" He stammered and shook his finger in Enjō's face, to which Enjō chuckled nervously.

"In all seriousness, it wasn't me. I just distracted it by circling it. It must've gotten so angry it destroyed everything and left." Iseri looked at the three of them and whipped out a pen, "I'll take that," She pointed at Omega, "Also, you can destroy the chip on your shoulder now. Goodnight." She started writing on her notepad and walked away.

"Machida and his pesky tech." Uyama sucked his teeth and grabbed the shoulder of Omega's shirt and squeezed it, destroying the device. "He's been like this since the army."

"You know him that far back?" Enjō asked. "If you ask me, it's too far back. It's a pleasure, but man was he tough then." Uyama's hand reached into his jacket pocket for a cigarette, but then he groaned. He noticed their eyes on him and waved them off, "Go on home guys. I'll catch up." Enjō stared at him for a moment, "Alright then, be back before 9!" Enjō imitated his deep voice. "Oh, just get." Uyama rolled his eyes and grinned as they both turned and left. 

After waiting a while, he looked at his surroundings. Please, nobody look over here, he thought. He bared his teeth and scowled, "Stupid..." Reaching into his jacket pocket again, he grabbed the pack of smokes and yelled as he threw it down onto the sidewalk. He let out quiet bursts of anger as he stomped on the pack. The stomps got stronger with every impact until they cracked the concrete and the tip of a cigarette caught fire. He finally stopped. He noticed his heart beating heavily, and his heaving breath. He slumped down onto a bench and rubbed his face. So pathetic. He leaned back on the bench and looked at the setting Sun with his lost, dull eyes. "Well isn't that funny." He chuckled painfully as he continued looking up at the sun.

His momentary peace was interrupted by his rough cough. My sign to head home I guess, he thought.

The door closed behind Uyama as he walked to the kitchen. "You want somethin' to eat?" Enjō patted him on the back as he walked past him. "Where's Omega?", Uyama watched Enjō clean the kitchen. "He just ate a bit himself and went to bed. The Kuro guy's sleeping too. You alright?". Uyama took his suit off and threw it over his shoulder, "I'm fine, Enjō. I'll just go to bed. Goodnight." Enjō comically saluted Uyama as he went to his room.

After taking a hot shower and brushing his teeth, he lay in his bed. The bed made squeaks as he tried to shut his eyes. After laying in discomfort for several minutes he lifted the covers and looked at his legs. They were trembling and his body was covered in sweat. He breathed deeply as he tried to ignore it. The squeaking got louder, he constricted himself in the sheets trying to keep as much heat as possible. There was a knock at the door. "You alright in there?" Enjō's voice called out to him. He didn't answer. The bed kept on squeaking. "I'm opening the door..." Uyama gritted his teeth, It's locked you-! His thoughts were interrupted by the door unlocking. The door opened and light flooded into the dark bedroom. "Oh man, you're shaking. Withdrawal again?" Enjō hurried to Uyama's side. Uyama turned his face away from him as he groaned shakily. "How did you open the door?" His voice was cold and dry. "Sure is a good night, huh?". Enjō lifted him with a grunt, "I sure am glad you're wearing PJ's. You wanna get up this time?" Enjō pulled Uyama up out of his bed and carried him to the bathroom. "I don't need..." he took breaks to breathe,"...your help."

Enjō let him grab the sink and move his way to the toilet as he closed the door, "You can go ahead and puke now." Enjō leaned against the wall outside the bathroom. "Shut u-" Uyama yelled before he was interrupted by the sudden need to vomit. "You talked a whole lot about needing people to help you, but listen to ya now!" Enjō exclaimed to drown out the sound of vomiting from inside. There was silence, and then a flush. Then the faucet started running, and then the door opened. "You good no-"

"No." Uyama's legs still shook a bit, but his heartbeat had gone down to normal. Uyama continued down to his bedroom. "You wanna go see her tomorrow? She helps a lot, doesn't she?" Enjō asked.

Uyama stopped in his tracks and turned his head down, "Yeah...Yeah, I guess she does."