Chapter 2: A Sense of Trust

With a full night of limping, bumping into trees until you hit one hard enough to knock you out. You felt the sun kiss your face, signalling your mind and body to get up.

Of course you opened your eyes. But the same darkness that you see when closing your eyes was all that greeted you when you had opened them.

Y/N: o-oh...

Your mind slowly processed and took in your new found situation with humility and grace...until the realization of everything that had happened began to crash down on you.

Y/N: why...

Tears fell from your open eyes as you faced downwards.

The family you put your faith and trust in, took away your sight...there wasn't really anything to question or add...but the way you felt towards it was strange...

Yes...you felt betrayed

No...you didn't hate them for what they did to you...you still thought this punishment was justified...they wouldn't do this if Summer was still around...right?

But to take your sight and throw you out with nothing but the clothes on your back and a small bag that was thrown at you?...had you finally paid what you had owed to your family?

Wiping your tears away before calmly standing up, you blindly stuck your arm out as you attempted to find a tree to balance yourself.

Y/N: not gonna focus on that now...

With a bit of luck you managed to place your hand on a tree not far from where you were standing. With your hand on the tree, you stretched your self to reach for another, but came up empty.

Y/N: no good...

You tried from every angle from where you and this tree stood, but all you had found out was that all the other trees probably hated that one you placed your hand on, because there wasn't any around you or the tree.

Y/N: dang it!

You threw your arms up and sloped down next to the tree with a heavy sigh...a tear quickly found its way down your cheek...

Y/N: it's useless...

You leaned your head back in defeat...but as your antlers accidentally tapped the tree behind you...you heard the sound bounce back?

Confused and somewhat curious, you quickly stood up before whistling in a random direction.

The direction you whistled into became hollow, and echoed a bit. You made the guess that it meant there weren't many trees around in that direction.

But when you had whistled in another, the sound result was a lot more heavy, as if the sound quickly bounced away from a surface before coming back to your ears.

Standing up with your hand still on the tree...you let go and stepped forward into the direction with a denser sound.

Y/N: o-ok...let's see...

One limped step?... nothing...

Two limped steps?... nothing...

Three limped steps?...the crunching of fallen dried leaves...but the sound they made upon being stepped on seemed to stop dead in front of you...

Reaching your hand out...you felt another tree!!!

You quickly hugged the naturally grown wooden post before letting out a sigh of relief.

Y/N: o-ok...one more time!

You whistled in a random direction before listening again.

In one direction...the sound echoed