Chapter Two

Riley's POV

My dad got his new job about 3 months into the school year, so I'll have to be a new student, which I'm not looking forward to. I could have started on Friday, but dad thought it would be best to start on a new week. So it's Monday, and I'm getting ready for my first day of school. I've never had to worry about what to wear, and to make sure I look good, because in my old school, no one really cared, everyone pretty much knew everyone.

School starts at 7:20 and I've gotten up at 6:30, so I don't have much time to get ready and eat breakfast. I have my license so I'll be driving myself to school a bit early so I can get my schedule and try to find where my classes are.

For my outfit, I've decided to fishtail my caramel brown hair, and let it rest on my right shoulder. My hair goes to about the middle of my back so my fishtail is kind of long. I put on these light blue jeans, with holes on the knees. The first hing I saw was my soccer hoodie from my old school, I decided to wear it. I grabbed my plain black converse and slid them on my feet.

My outfit isn't the best, but I really don't have much time, so I sprint down the hall of our apartment, we don't really need much room for just two of us. "Riley!"

"What, dad."

"You need to eat something, breakfast is-"

"The most important meal of the day I know I know. I was just planning on having a banana or something. I want to get to the school early so I can get my schedule."

"Alright, just this once! Then you're gonna have proper meals." I mumbled back an okay as I was walking out the door.

It was a quick drive to the school, only was about 5 minutes. From the front, the school looked like a pretty normal size, like any other school really. The office was in the front, like it almost always is in any school.

I walk up to the front desk and this little old lady looks up and smiles at me, "You must be the new girl." I gave her a soft smile to let her know I was.

"Name?"

"Riley Anderson."

"Such a beautiful name, here you go. Would you like someone to show you around?" She hands me my schedule.

"Uh, that would be nice actually, thank you." She gave a quick nod and called some girl named Sarah to the front office.

"It'll just be a second dear, you can sit and wait if you'd like." She pointed at a couple chairs against the wall opposite of her. I walked over and sat down next to the one closest to the door.

About 5 minutes later, this short girl, with shoulder length curly brown hair, a white muscle tee-shirt with a dream catcher on it, black shorts, and a pair of boots on, walked into the office. The old lady that had just helped me called Sarah over. She pointed me out and the girl spun around to look at me and smiled.

I stood up, and waited for her to walk over to me. Once she got about 4 feet away, I noticed that I was about 5 inches taller than her, me being 5'6", she was pretty short. "Hi, I'm Sarah, I'll be showing you where your classes are going to be."

"Alright, thanks." I handed her my schedule and she asked me to follow her. She showed me my first three classes, they were just the basics, English, College Algebra, and U.S. History. I found out I have U.S. History with Sarah, and she said there is an empty seat by her, so I could sit close to her. After History there's lunch, then my Sports Medicine class, P.E, and then my last period is a free period.

Sarah took me back to my first class right before the bell rang. "Hey Riley, you play soccer?" She must've noticed my hoodie.

"Yeah, been playing for a long time."

"That's cool! Our school's soccer tryouts are next week, if you want me to find out more details I can."

"Yeah, that'd be awesome, thanks."

"No problem, I'll see you in history. Good luck." She gave me a slight smile and walked away. It wouldn't be too bad to have a friend like her, she seemed pretty nice.

Right as the bell ring I walked up to my teachers desk, hoping he would be nice enough to not make me introduce myself to the class. But, just my luck, he had to be a jerk. I quickly introduced myself and he pointed to an empty seat in the middle of the room. It was the only seat empty. I would have rather have a seat in the back, so no one would bother me.

The class went on quickly, the teacher didn't give us much time to talk, so I didn't really meet anyone. They were reading Lord of the Flies, which I've already read, so I kind of spaced off the whole time. Towards the end of the class, I decided to look around, see who some of my classmates were. Most were looking at the book, not paying much attention to me, but this one girl.

She was about two seats to the left of me. She had glanced up from her book right as I turned and looked that way. She was blonde, with a hint of brown showing. She was pretty tan, which isn't surprising since this is California. She had really blue eyes, brighter than I've ever seen. She was also wearing her schools hoodie, but it was for the soccer team. When she noticed I glanced down at her hoodie, she looked at mine, genuinely smiled, and looked back into my eyes.

It felt weird, right as she looked back into my eyes, my heart skipped a beat. Her smile was beautiful. In fact, she was beautiful. She had no physical flaw that I could see. I caught myself staring and quickly looked away. She definitely noticed that I was staring because she let out a light giggle. Her giggle, oh my god, was the cutest thing I have ever heard.

Within 5 minutes, the bell rung, and I practically jumped out of my seat and was the first one out the door. I just wanted to get this day over with.