Chapter Twenty Nine

Riley's POV
I hope she doesn't change her mind again. I don't know if I can handle her leaving me in the dust again.

The date was amazing. We laughed the whole time, and I love her laugh. I couldn't get enough of it.

I missed hanging out with her, but things are different. She already changed her mind once, she could change it again. I just don't trust her.

The relationship would be so complicated too. Brooke shouldn't have to go through the rest of high school where people look at her differently because she likes girls.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to get too attached in case she decides to change her mind once again.

I woke up this morning with a big smile on my face. Yesterday was just, a good day. I want to see Brooke again, today. We need to talk though, about everything.

Since I had already gotten up and changed, I quickly sent a text to Brooke asking her if I could come over.

I had work later today so it wouldn't be for long. A sacrifice I was willing to take to get money. Sadly, I work at Pizza Hut.

In my opinion they put way too much sauce on their pizza, but it is good. I just get sick of it.

Brooke let me know that it was okay, and that her parents and brother weren't home.

She had told me a couple days ago her brother wants to play soccer for a club team so they are taking him out to get gear.

Within no time I was at the house, waiting for Brooke to open the front door.

When the door did open, Brooke had a wild smile on her face.

"Hey, what's up?" She was wearing ripped shorts, and a basic grey 3/4 shirt.

"Nothing, just wanted to talk to you." Brooke gestured me inside, and we made a beeline for the couch.

She looked at me funny, but proceeded anyway to ask me what I wanted to talk about.

"I know everything has been good between us for a couple days. But I want to make sure you won't change your mind again and go complete bitch on me."

The facial expression on her face looked hurt, but it went away fast.

There was silence between us for a good minute. Brooke was looking down the whole time.

Finally, the silence was broken when she let out a sigh. Her head lifted up and her eyes met mine.

"I made that mistake once, but I'm not gonna make it again. I'm not going to push you away again. And I realize how much of a jerk I was. Riley, I like you a lot. More than I've liked anyone. The feelings were so weird and so new to me then, I-I didn't know what to do with them, so I ignored them. But I'm not ignoring them anymore and you need to realize that. I'm not going anywhere."

Her tone of voice was genuine, but I was just so afraid.

Even when I tried to be mad at her, she was just so beautiful. It takes my breath away when she smiles at me. Those feelings you don't just take lightly.

I'm afraid she doesn't like me as much as I like her. I think that's everyone's fear. Or that they will find someone they like better.