17

giana's pov

-

On race day, I was woken up by a loud banging on my door. With a groan I reached over for my cell phone. It took a second for my squinting eyes to adjust to the light but when I did, I realized it was 6:00 in the morning.

"Lando, son las seis de la mañana, juro que si no te quisiera te aventaba por el balcón por enfadoso!"

He pushed the door open and once he was in my room, he threw himself on top of the bed completely squishing me.

"I have no idea what that means but thank you."

I smiled maliciously before grabbing the pillow next to my head. Before giving him a chance to react, I placed the pillow over his face forcefully but not enough to the point where I would actually cut off his oxygen. It was very easy for him to push the pillow away.

He gasped out dramatically. "Did you just try to murder me?"

"It was a gesture of love."

"Okay, no birthday breakfast for you."

"You're not even the one that makes it."

"So, I'll tell your dad to stop cooking." He stared at me for a few seconds as if there was something else he wanted to say. But instead, he stayed quiet as he stood up from my bed pulling me to stand with him. My heart did warm a little when Lando gave me a tight hug once we were both standing.

"Happy birthday Gi."

I mumbled a thank you as I wrapped my arms around him tightly.

"I love you."

"I love you too Lan."

Once he separated himself from me he handed me a messily wrapped package. I hadn't realized it was on the ground. He must have placed it there before he jumped on my bed. "I tried my best."

"It looks great." I told him in reassurance.

"Come on just open it."

Carefully, I unwrapped the present. Inside there was a box. Once the lid came off, my eyes couldn't believe what they were seeing.

"Lando did you make this?"

He nodded sheepishly. Nerves were evident on his face.

"How? When?" I couldn't stop staring. Placing the package on the bed, I grabbed the bouquet of tulips from the box. What had me in awe was the fact that tulips were crocheted. They were a soft pink in color.

"These past few months. It was pretty difficult and it took a while to make. I had my mom on facetime for hours on end as she helped me make them. Those times she would visit were always excuses for her to help me make them properly." He explained. When he noticed that I wasn't responding he started rambling further. "If you don't like them, I could get you something else."

I cut him off by placing the flowers back in the box and engulfing him in a hug. "Lan, I love them. This is the best present I've ever received in my entire life."

The time and effort he put into the flowers nearly brought tears to my eyes.

"I know tulips are your favorite and I wanted to give you flowers, but just some that would never die."

I let out a small laugh. "I can not imagine you crocheting."

"One time Max came in the middle of me making them. He couldn't stop laughing."

"Yeah that would be pretty funny."

"I'm just glad you like them."

"I love them." I said, smiling to myself at the thought of him making these for me.