19

lando's pov
-

Knowing that Giana wouldn't be in the garage was enough to figure out what type of race I would have. She called me crazy every time I said she was my good luck charm but I was correct. Only in the races which she spent in the McLaren garage did I have good results.

The race today here at Baku proved me right once again. I barely landed in the points.

"What's on your mind babe?"

I looked up at the sound of my girlfriend's voice. She had been here all weekend at the paddock which was unusual with her busy schedule.

Guilt ran through me at the thought of the real answer to that question. How could I be thinking of another person when I was with my girlfriend.

"Crystal, I have to ask you a question and I want you to be honest with me."

"Of course." She nodded but I could sense something was off.

"Did you leak Giana and I's conversation?"

Immediately, she shook her head. "Lando, I would never. That would be so wrong. Is Giana messing with your head?"

I slightly frowned at her saying that about Giana. "No, I just wanted to rule out all possibilities." I said as I finished adjusting my race suit.

As I left for the media pen, I was feeling a sense of dread at the questions I was going to get. I've been dealing with these questions all weekend and I was exhausted. Giana did the right thing by staying at home. When I approached the first reporter, I greeted them.

"So Lando, P9 today how are you feeling?" The reporter spoke brightly as she leaned the microphone towards me.

"A bit disappointing honestly. I was expecting more, we had the pace but ultimately it just wasn't the results we hoped for. We'll give it our all for Canada and hope for better results." I tried to sound as engaged as I could, but I was more than done talking to her.

"That's good to hear Lando. We noticed that your usual lucky charm wasn't in the paddock today. Any comments on that?"

I tensed at the mention of Giana. She texted me earlier to wish me luck but other than that we haven't spoken. It was a bit awkward considering I almost told her about her drunk confessions last time we spoke. But of course, Giana didn't know that. 

"Yes, Giana wasn't here this weekend. She's just on vocal rest for her next show in Canada." I gave her the answer Gi and I agreed on to explain her absence.

"There's been some rumors about the both of you and relationships and some cheating. Is there something you want to say about that?"

I withheld the urge to roll my eyes. "No, I don't actually. There's no need to give attention to made up stories. Both Giana and I have clarified what the truth is."

She said there were no more questions after that and I said nothing before walking away.

Walking up to the next reporter, I prayed to God that there would be no more questions regarding Giana. But of course, my prayers went unanswered. This reporter didn't even wait until the second question to bring up the topic.