Chapter 3 // Working Together

You entered the arena panting. You crouched down and rested your elbows on your knees as you looked up at the sky, trying to catch your breath. 

Looking back at the people who had finished before you, you began to count. There was twenty-three, meaning you finished in twenty-fourth.

'He's not here yet,' you thought as you stood up and looked around.

You distanced yourself from the rest of the students and leaned against the wall of the stadium, watching the entrance carefully. After two more people ran through, Shinso entered and bounded over to you.

"I knew you'd finish before me," he commented. You grinned.

"Told ya I didn't need luck," you replied as you crossed your arms and craned your head back.

The rest of the wait for the final students to return was silent between the two of you, and, once everyone was done,  the screen displayed everyone's finishing rank in order.

"The first 42 are advancing to the next round!" Midnight announced. "Those of you who didn't make it, please take your seat in the audience.

"Lots are out and that was just the first round," you said to Shinso, who nodded in agreement as the remaining 42 made their way closer to the stage.

"Let's see what your second challenge is!" The woman continued. The same slot-like machine on the screen spun again, but this time it landed on Calvary Battle.

"Sounds interesting..." you mumbled to yourself as Midnight began to explain the rules.

"The Calvary Battle will last fifteen minutes, and you may have up to four people in a group," she explained. "You all have point values based on what place you had in the race, number 42 being 5 points and Number 1 being 10 million."

The crowd broke out in a quiet chatter before, one by one, they began to turn to the first placed winner, who was a, compared to everyone else, small green haired boy who wore a scared expression on his face.

'He finished first?' you thought. 'I would've put my money on that blond boy.'

"The rider of your group will wear the headband with the total points accumulated," she informed before beginning to explain a drawn out demonstration on the screen. "Your quirks can be used as you desire, but no malicious aims! You have fifteen minutes to find your team!"

Immediately, several students swarmed Bakugo, even kids who weren't even in his class despite the fact that, if they won, they'd probably have to fight him later on.

You considered, but ultimately decided against trying to team up with the blond. Even if he didn't finish first, he'd still be moving onto the next round. You were sure of that, which means that, if you teamed up, he'd be more familiar with your quirk and abilities. He's clearly been admired and praised far too much or else his confidence wouldn't be so high. You respected that he was determined, but being too much of a perfectionist always ends with the person falling apart. It would be better to team up with someone you know just as well as they know you.

"Let's team up with two others," Shinso spoke, snapping you back to reality, "and I think I have the perfect people."

He raised his hand and pointed. You leaned closer to him to get a better look at who he had picked out: a blonde boy with narrow eyes and a large tail and another blonde boy with a very outgoing appearance.

"Who are they?" You asked and looked at him.

"They're from Class 1-A, gullible. I can brainwash them easily and get at least third or fourth place," your best friend explained. "You in?"

You averted your attention back to the two boys, who were chatting with each other, completely clueless as to what was about to happen.

"Yeah," you agreed with a smirk. "I'm in."

[EDITED]