Chapter 7 // Getting Closer

"Look who showed me up," Shinso grinned as you reached the section Class 1-C was sitting in.

"For the second time today," you quickly stated, trying to uphold a smug expression, but you eventually smiled.

"You should get an award," Shinso joked, but you took the statement literally and replied with, "if I win three more matches, then I will."

Shinso shook his head, still grinning as he wrapped his arms around your waist and gave you a quick hug. You couldn't help but chuckle at the abrupt physical affection before circling your arms around his shoulders and hugging him back.

"How's your back?" you asked as you leaned back, moving your hands to rest on his shoulders.

"I told you already," Shinso groaned, "it's fine."

"I'm just asking," you said. "Stop being a brat."

"Stop being a mom," he argued, and you narrowed your eyes at him.

You've always looked out for Shinso. It's a natural instinct of yours to look out for everyone around you, even if you don't know someone and even if that person is a complete asshole and utterly rude. Who knows? Maybe that person is just having a bad day. You once had a waitress throw your food in your lap after you told her she brought the wrong thing, and she apologized minutes later, claiming she was having an awful day and should've never acted harshly. It was then that you realized being understanding was better than being aggressive until you know the entirety of the situation.

"Who're you against next?" Shinso asked, and you didn't even need to glance at the bracket displayed on the screen to answer.

"Bird boy, Tokoyami, from Class 1-A," you stated.

Shinso turned to look at the screen, saying, "That's not for a while. Wanna take a break? We can check out some of the venders."

"Sure," you said before quickly adding, "but I don't have any money on me, so, if I see something I like, you're paying. It'll be even since you ate two-thirds of my Doritos."

"Fair, fair," Shinso said. "Come on."

The two of you departed from the rest of your class and left the stadium, heading toward the front gates where all the vendors were stationed.

"Oh, Shinso! Look! Look!" you pointed to a nearby stand, which had a woman behind it, who was selling green tea flavored desserts such as matcha green tea cookies and green tea ice cream.

Shinso looked to where you were pointing before he visibly cringed, saying, "Green tea stuff is gross."

"Shinso," you deadpanned, tugging on his sleeve. The boy eventually gave in, sighing as he allowed you to drag him over to the vendor.

Shinso watched carefully as you scanned every dessert, occasionally asking the lady on the other side of the table how much each food item was if it didn't already have a label on it. A few minutes after observing everything, you stepped back, saying, "we can go."

Shinso gave you a confused look, asking, "don't you want anything?"

"Well, yeah," you said, looking at the item you had in mind before focusing your attention back on Shinso, "but I thought these would only be a few bucks."

Shinso stared at you for a few moments before stepping forward and leaning over the table, looking at the item that had fought your eye. It was 2205 yen. It seemed pricey at first, but, then again, the desserts were all homemade and the one you had been eyeballing was a package that consisted of a dozen cookies of all different types, but they were all green tea flavored.

Your eyes immediately lit up when Shinso pulled out the respected amount of money and handed it to the woman, who thanked him before putting the package of cookies in a brown paper bag and handing it to him.

"Thank you," you said slowly, smiling as Shinso handed the bag over to you.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Shinso said.

Normally, he would never spend 2205 yen on a small package of a dozen cookies that you could get at the store for probably 734 yen, but, then again, he was buying it for you, and you were an exception when it came to pretty much everything.

"I'll save them for after I win," you grinned, curling the open end of the bag closed. "It'll be another reward."

"You're very cocky today," Shinso commented as the two of you continued to explore.

"I'm not cocky," you disagreed. "I'm confident."

"What's the different?" Shinso questioned.

"Being cocky is being arrogant and not knowing the extent of what you're capable of," you stated. "I know exactly what I'm capable of, and what I'm capable of is enough to win."

"Whatever you say," Shinso replied, his hand hovering over your lower back as he guided you throw the massive crowd.

"Yes, whatever I say," you agreed, craning your head back to look at him as he was still walking behind you. "I'm always right."

"Now you're being cocky," Shinso claimed, and you rolled your eyes as the two of you finally made it through the crowd and back into the stadium.

The two of you turned the corner to find a familiar hotheaded blond standing at the end of the hallway, his hands stuffed in his pockets and a determined expression on his face.

"Grumpy, are we?" you questioned the boy, who scoffed at you.

"See you in the arena," he stated before turning and disappearing into Class 1-A's prep room.

"I take it he won his match," Shinso said.

"Yeah," you sighed, staring at the room Bakugo had walked into, "but I haven't won my yet."

[EDITED]