13

The entrance exams of UA were drawing nearer and nearer.

As a result of this, you and Midoriya hadn't been talking much lately, as you both were busy for the exams. Him more so than you because according to him, he had an actual instructor.

Meanwhile, even Kirishima apologized that he wouldn't be able to come over to the building frequently because the exams were drawing near. Even Todoroki seemed somewhat out of it. It seemed like all those who were planning on joining UA were miserable these days.

Yet, Fumiko seemed as lax as ever. Perhaps it was because she was well aware that she would be able to get into Shiketsu with ease. She was pretty smart and her quirk was even better. The ability to see the most critical points of any object to destroy it. If she looked at a human, she could see which points of their body would hurt that person the most.

A quirk and pretty face like hers would definitely give her one of the top spots in the Japanese Hero Billboard once she becomes a pro. And you're sure that Todoroki's quirk and his good looks will definitely land him a good spot in the near future. The same goes for Kirishima, his easy-going and kind personality will surely get him lots of fans.

You don't know much about Midoriya's quirk but his gentle personality and cute features will definitely be eye-candy for many fans.

You sat at your desk, in your room after having finished with dinner. You still had to store away the leftover food in the fridge but you still had some time before it cooled down enough to be stored. So you decided to work on Quirk History. It was one of your least favorite subjects and from what you know, a lot of the UA entrance exam questions were related to it.

So you figured that you might as well touch up on it a bit. But after some time, you got tired so you grabbed your phone and lied down on your bed, mindlessly scrolling through social media.

There was news about different things, places All Might had been spotted, new recipes, and some makeup tutorials. There was also a good sprinkling of memes and cute [Favorite Animal] videos.

In short, your recommendations page was tailored exactly to your liking.

As you were giggling on a meme you saw and sent to Riza, you heard a knock on your door before it opened, "[Name]." Her voice was quiet, and you took note of her entering the room.

"Yeah, what's wrong?"

She stared at you, and then at your phone with disdain in her eyes, "Have you been looking at your career options?" Ah... You didn't exactly mention to your family that you were taking the UA exam. Just because you were worried that if you failed, you would be too embarrassed.

"I-I have." That was a lie.

"Really? Have you made a list about what you want to pursue? Or have you studied up on any of the programs to see if you're eligible for it?"

"Well... No." You didn't want to bother lying because she was only going to ask more questions about it that you probably wouldn't get anyways.

"Ugh..." Taking note of how utterly vexed she sounded, you raised an eyebrow. You had a feeling that you knew where this was going.

"[Name], I have a friend who's brother is asking me about psychology and he's researching about things he wants to do." As she gave you a look, you couldn't help but feel annoyed.

"If I'm helping out some random kid, I should help my sister out too, don't you think?" She didn't give you chance to reply before she began again.

"But I don't think you're serious about your future! All you do is play on your phone all day and laugh at memes, everyday you go out to meet your friends, your grades aren't that good either so obviously you have to take in that account... You can't even enter medical school cause I doubt you'll qualify for it!" You were actually very tempted to tell her that you 'meeting your friends' was actually you training, but you didn't.

Her words were sharp and painful, something that cut deep into your heart and ached badly.

You knew all that.

You knew that you weren't as smart as she was, you couldn't get into medical school. But it's not like you had a quirk fit for it either.

"I thought that maybe you'd be into an Art related field but you don't show any amount of interest at all! You're about 15 already, I was already doing a part-time job at 15 and I began researching about what I liked! You expect us to baby you for your entire life? For the love of God, grow up!!" That was the last straw.

"I still have high school before I start an actual career! I don't need you to do anything for me! You do that so you can feel better about yourself!"

"Oh, right. Cause you're so smart, aren't you? You're absolutely stupid and that's why we all have to look after your dumbass!" Why was your sister being such a bitch? Sure there were times when she was really a bitch but right now she was so damn annoying.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?! What crawled up your ass and died, huh?! You just come up to me and start insulting me for no apparent reason, did you get rejected or something?!"

"I'm insulting you because you're so irresponsible! All my friends' siblings are focused on a path and then I see you, who doesn't even know what she wants to do! [Name], please! Just grow up!!"

"Fuck off!! Stop acting like you're my mother!!" That seemed to hit a nerve in her.

"Fine then! You can go die in a ditch, for all I care! You can't even do basic things without our help, you think you can survive in the real world?!"

God, she's such a bitch!!

"I'm the one who's taking care of your sorry ass! Ever since mom died, I'm the one who cooks, cleans and feeds your ass when you come home from your shitty university!! And you've got the audacity to say that I can't do basic shit? You're a real fucking hypocrite, bitch!" She scoffed and laughing mockingly, as if she was humored by your words. In a fit of rage, you pushed her out of your bedroom and slammed the door shut.

You didn't need to hear her grating voice right now. God, she's so annoying!!

You're always working hard to improve yourself, but she didn't know that! Because she was always the person who was handed everything on a silver platter. She never had to work too hard because she was a natural born genius.

But you always did your best. You weren't as perfect as your sister, nor were you as sharp as your brother. You couldn't even rely on your quirk because you had to think of ways to use it, instead of a usual fighter style quirk. You wondered why it was all so annoying to you that you weren't better than anyone at anything.

You were always the lower one. Be it in your school or in your family, you were never the best. And it made you angry that despite your effort, people only focused on the results to judge you. They thought that you were a slacker and a lazy fool just because you weren't a genius like your siblings.

And you wanted to yell at everyone for how wrong they were. But did you have any proof that you were a hard-worker? The proof of a person's hard-work is always the result. If your result is shit, then obviously the world will think that the fault lies in you.

But they will never think about the person's efforts...

In anger, you locked your door and threw yourself on your bed. You didn't want to talk to anyone. Because everyone you knew was already so much better than you at everything.

Your friends at school, including Todoroki were way smarter and stronger than you. Even Midoriya was smarter than you.

Kirishima had a much better quirk than you and so did Riza. Hell, you're sure even Rae must be better than you.

You just wanted to curl up and die.

You didn't want to face the reality where you were a constant loser.

That was why you wanted to go to UA, because you didn't want to be the only person in your family to have a blue-collar job. You didn't want to be the person who your relatives nit-picked at a family gathering as your poor father sputtered to defend you.

You didn't want to be yourself anymore...