14

"[Sister Name]."

Your father's voice called out to the young adult. She turned her head to see him standing in the hallway with a frown upon his lips, "Why did you say that to her?"

"This is exactly why she's so pampered, dad! You're always trying to defend her!"

"No, I'm trying to find out why you even said that." She scoffed as she walked through the hallway and into the living room, to sit down at the one of the sofas, "I told her that my friend's brother had been asking me about psychology! All the younger kids I see are all so ambitious, they all care about their future but she doesn't! Then she's got the nerves to say that I'm acting like her mother? She can rot in hell for all I care, then!

Your father watched with an indifferent expression as your sister continued to rant while pointing at her own self, "Dad, I was worried about what I wanted to do when I was her age. I had made up my mind long ago! Why can't she ever just see how important it is for her! I'm just trying to help! Her grades are worse than mine and she's not at the top of her class!" She stopped for a minute to catch her breath before continuing.

"You don't understand, dad! Kids these days are really competitive! People with much higher grades than hers are struggling to get accepted into universities! It's not as easy as it was in your time anymore, dad!"

"[Sister Name]..." He began in a fatherly tone, "-did you ever had to worry about making your own meal when you were her age?" His question caught her off guard, "That's not what it-"

"Have you?" He cut her off and she narrowed her eyes before shaking her head, "Mom made it for me..."

"Exactly. And when [Name] comes home, she has to clean up the house, wask the dishes and make her own meal-no, she cooks for all of us." He chuckled when your sister's annoyed expressions didn't change.

"When your mother was alive and when she's gone... Both of the times you always come home to a warm meal, don't you? You come home and you immediately go to rest, you sleep until it's time for dinner, don't you?"

"No one asks that of her. If she focuses on her studies, I'm willing to do everything."

"And yet she still does it, even when no one asks that of her. You're saying that only if she is studying, are you willing you to do her chores. So you won't help her if she isn't studying?

"If she's free and not doing anything, why should I have to get back, tired and still do the chores?"

"Because you are older than her. She's younger than you were when you were about to start high school, right? At her age, you couldn't even do the dishes without breaking one or two."

"And? We all faced problems ever since mom's death. She isn't special."

"[Sister Name]... You're 6 years older than her. She's 15, for the love of God. Cut her some slack." He scolded lightly. Your father was a soft-spoken man, he never raised his voice at you guys. But he couldn't help but express how your sister was so wrong.

"Dad, if I let her be now, who's going to teach her all this? You're out of the house most of the time and so am I, but haven't you seen how kids are progressing these days? They're going to leave her in the dust if she doesn't do anything..."

"She will be fine. I trust her and you should too, okay?" As he said that word, your brother also entered the house and saw them talking, "Is everything okay?"

You father nodded with a small smile, "Yes, [Name] and [Sister Name] just had a small fight. Could you go check up on her?" Your brother nodded as he placed his keys on the table and walked over to your room. Knocking three times, he tried to open the door but it was locked.