021

:: Sixth voice, Kalliope

When the law bites, it leaves marks. I used to curse the fucked up world, hate the tyranny of the system, and disgust the people who burned their brows with the books of law yet remained uneducated about the reality. As the smoke continues to spread all over the corners, the more coughs will be heard. The more torn pages found on the floor, ignorance grows uncontrollably. It's always the beginning that shows the signs, but the middle depicts the actions. For the end, the last judgement would be the only thing that matters.

Amidst the chaos, I'm not even sure if I opened a place in my heart for love. But thinking what drove me to get the justice I longed for how many years, perhaps I felt something I never noticed.

They say that if hatred consumed you, you'll do unimaginable things. You'll be merciless and reckless, you won't care for anything nor anyone.

Once it gets in every drop of blood you have, you'll end up being the worst person you can ever change into.

In pursuit of a cause greater than anything else, I lost people along the way. I missed opportunities in life, I sacrificed moments that I should have experience in that age. Remembering those times causes me to regret the days I've wasted to something I couldn't fully understand but on the other hand, that experience alone got me where I am today.

What I went through was hard, but the good part is the thing that should be think of. I'm already here anyway, so who am I to complain about it?

"It seems like you're the one who was jailed," one of my friends joked after I arrived at the same place where we used to hang out.

Looking around, it brought back thousands of memories to remember. It was an abandoned open place before, but years have passed and a lot has changed since then.

It was near the house I lived in—where Mama, Sera, and my other cousins considered as our home. I couldn't even be more proud, knowing that I turned this into something more decent.

Well of course, we legally claimed the land. But the workers are the ones who live nearby.

"Beers are on me," I said and smiled, as I dropped my things and sat on the empty chair they reserved for me.

"Show off," Sera rolled her eyes and laughed with the others. I even saw Clint from the counter, the one whom Mama and I leaned on the most when the others got pulled into the jail back then. He's the one who's managing the place right now.

We laughed and shared stories, the talk mostly came out from me. Well, they're even more interested about everything I did. And I could see nothing from their eyes aside from the proud stares they're giving me.

I couldn't be more happy seeing us on the same table together again, minding nothing but only the present moment.

"So, where's the guy?" Sera opened up another topic with her mischievous eyes and grin while looking at me. I responded her with a raise of an eyebrow, but the others teased me even more.

"Oh, yeah. The other lawyer," Clint emphasized as he delivers our drinks, with a wicked smile flashing in his face.

Mira threw off her loudest laugh beside me while clapping her hands in amusement, in which caused me to squint my eyes on her. This girl has the gut to tease me, huh?

"It's the hot prosecutor who did the move, right? Bow down to that visual, Kalliope!" she said while bumping my shoulder and giving me her most naughty smile.

"Shut up," I replied in a pissed tone and took a bottle of beer from the bucket. "There's nothing between us, okay? Stop it."

"Hmm?" I froze instantly when I heard that clear manly voice just behind me. The whole table went silent, but their eyes and grins made sure that I would regret talking.

I felt my face immediately heated up by that  humiliation!

Fuck, this is betrayal. For real!

Mira moved away from me and gave away her chair before she sits beside Sera, who's actually opposite of my direction. 'He' sat beside me as Matt handed him a bottle of beer. Dave, Matt's brother, pushed the nachos near us.

They're acting all natural with their silent tease on me, while here I am, sitting like a frozen meat waiting to be boiled to be able to move again.

"What? You'll stay stiff like that, Kalliope?" Clint asked in an obviously teasing tone, wanting to embarrass me even more with his words.

I pulled myself together by firmly closing my eyes and a slight shook of my head, before taking the beer from the table and drink it.

"My cousin's all red," Sera even pointed out, making me pissed off as hell.

"Oh gosh," I just mumbled after my minutes of silence, and they all burst into laughter after seeing my ashamed reaction.

Well, the one sitting beside me kept his cool in the middle of the chaotic table. I even managed to glanced at him for a bit, but I instantly looked away when his eyes met mine.

I know what he's probably thinking right now, that's why I'm more embarrassed! I already memorized his reactions and expressions, so there's no need for me to read him thoroughly.

"Anyways, thanks for the both of you," Matt initiated as the laughs slowly fade. "If it wasn't because of you, we'll not be here," he added as he locked his eyes on me.

"Yeah, a big cheers for you, Kalliope!" Dave raised the bottles.

As we raised our own bottles and clinked it, we didn't mind the other people around us. It was the very moment where we looked back to our past, and be proud of whom we become.

We've lost people, we've lost each other.

But we found home in each other's arms as well.

Mama, I hope you're happy for us. Wherever you might be right now, you'll always be remembered.

You'll always be a part of us.

"He's inside," Ramiro said as soon as I neared his direction in front of the door. There are police officers outside guarding just in case worse things happen. Besides, it's expected in a correction to have guards anywhere.

"Do you want to be alone?" he carefully asked as he peeked a bit from the window of the door. I also did the same action as his, and nodded.

"I'd like to talk to him privately, if I may?" I still asked for his permission and answer. He came with me, so I guess it's just more appropriate to know what he thinks.

"Yeah, sure. I'll wait for you," he replied in a cool tone, assuring me that he's going to be fine outside.

I just smiled at him and as soon as I entered the door, the regret immediately flashed in his face. As I met his eyes and directly stared into it, I've known that he already reflected on himself.

As he should.

When I sat down, tears pooled his eyes in just a second. It may be too late for some things to change between my father and I, it may be too late for us to ask for forgiveness, and it may be too late for us to forget, but we should both move on from the situations that hurt us.

In life, there's only two directions to take—forward and backward. You can take one step forward, but move two steps back in some days. You won't stay in track and keep intact, but there's always a room for progress.

"I hope you'll be fine, I really do."

It wasn't purely revenge, but rather an eye-opener. Power may control the law today, but it won't last forever, as there's no such thing like that.

Because I found my justice—the answer to the system I questioned for years.

Everything takes time to get back to its normal state after being destroyed, though some can't be restored anymore.

But I know that once I leave this room, I can finally say that it was all worth it.

In pursuit of justice, I know I claimed it.