Everything goes boom

If it weren't for Grover and Tyson's enhanced hearing, they would've lost the spider instantly.

They rushed down a tunnel and turned to the left, Annabeth pulling Ivy back when she almost fell down the huge abyss in front of them.

"Monkey bars," Annabeth said, looking at the series of iron rungs in the ceiling which the spider was going through. "I'm great at these."

She leaped onto the first rung and
started swinging her way across. She got to the other side and the others followed suit, Tyson giving Grover a piggyback ride and breaking the last bar under their weight.

They kept running until they reached a room filled with skeletons and broken pencils.

This time, it didn't take long before Ivy saw the monster. She was getting really tired of finding a different one in every room they entered.

She had the body of a huge lion and the head of a woman. And for the first time, Ivy actually recognized the monster. Although she wasn't sure if that was good.

Tyson whimpered. "Sphinx."

Yep, there it goes.

Annabeth started forward, but the Sphinx roared, showing her fangs.

Bars came down on both tunnel exits, behind and in front of the campers.

"Why are there cell bars everywhere?"

Honestly, what was up with the labyrinth and having jails everywhere?

Immediately, the monster's snarl turned into a brilliant smile.

"Welcome, lucky contestants!" She announced. "Get ready to play...ANSWER THAT RIDDLE!"

Applause blasted from the ceiling, as if there were invisible loudspeakers, and spotlights coming from who knows where swept across the room.

"Fabulous prizes!" The Sphinx said. "Pass the test, and you get to advance! Fail, and I get to eat you! Who will be our contestant?"

"Wow, such a prize" She reached for the ring on her finger, but Annabeth stopped her.

She grabbed her arm and looked at her and Percy. "I've got this," She whispered. "I know what she's going to ask."

"All yours, blondie"

She trusted Annabeth, and if it had to do with tests and questions, then she was obviously the best choice.

She stepped into the contestant's podium, pushing a skeleton out of the way.

"Sorry," Annabeth told it.

"Welcome, Annabeth Chase!" The monster cried, though Annabeth hadn't
said her name. Creepy. "Are you ready for your test?"

"Yes," She said. "Ask your riddle."

"Twenty riddles, actually!" The Sphinx said gleefully.

"What? But back in the old days—"

"Oh, we've raised our standards! To pass, you must show proficiency in all twenty. Isn't that great?"

"Yeah, great." Ivy mumbled next to Percy.

The Applause stopped.

Annabeth glanced at Ivy nervously. She took one hand out of her pocket and gave the girl an encouraging thumbs up.

"Okay, I'm ready."

A drumroll sounded from above. "What...is the capital of Bulgaria?"

Annabeth frowned. For a terrible moment, she looked stumped.