We'll be alright

"What was she thinking?" Annabeth said as they ran for the river.

The traffic was horrible. Everybody was out on the streets gawking at the war zone damage. Police sirens wailed on every block. There was no possibility of catching a cab, and the pegasi had flown away.

So they ran, pushing through mobs of dazed mortals that clogged the sidewalks.

"She'll never get through the defenses," Annabeth said. "Peleus will eat her."

"Yeah, well" Ivy started as she pushed a mortal out of her way. "Let's not test our luck"

Percy nodded. "We've got to hurry." He glanced at Nico. "I don't suppose you could conjure up some skeleton horses."

Nico wheezed as he ran. "So tired . . . couldn't summon a dog bone."

Finally, they scrambled over the embankment to the shore, and Percy let out a loud whistle.

Three wake lines appeared in the gray water, and a pod of hippocampi broke the surface.

They whinnied unhappily, shaking the river muck from their manes. They were beautiful creatures, that was for sure.

"Rainbow!" Percy called. "How's it going, buddy?"

He neighed what she guessed was a complaint.

"Yeah, I'm sorry," He said. "But it's an emergency. We need to get to camp."

"Tyson?" He said. "Tyson is fine! I'm sorry he's not here. He's a big general now in the Cyclops army."

"NEEEEIGGGGH!"

"Yeah, I'm sure he'll still bring you apples. Now, about that ride . . ."

In no time, Ivy, Annabeth, Nico, and Percy were zipping up the East River headed for Long Island Sound.

Despite how fast they were going, it seemed like forever until they saw the beach at camp.

They thanked the hippocampi and waded ashore, only to find Argus waiting for them with his arms crossed, his hundred eyes glaring at them.

"Is she here?" Percy asked.

He nodded grimly.

"Is everything okay?" Annabeth said.

Argus shook his head and they followed him up the trail.

It was surreal being back at camp, because everything looked so peaceful: no burning buildings, no wounded fighters. The cabins were bright in the sunshine, and the fields glittered with dew. But the place was mostly empty.

Up at the Big House, something was definitely wrong. Green light was shooting out all the windows, and mist—the magical kind—swirled around the yard.

Chiron lay on a horse-size stretcher by the volleyball pit, a bunch of satyrs standing around him.

Blackjack cantered nervously in the grass.

Rachel Elizabeth Dare stood at the bottom of the porch steps. Her arms were raised like she was waiting for someone inside the house to throw her a ball.

"Is she okay?" Ivy asked as she stared at the girl weirdly. She had the urge to throw something at her to see if she reacted.

"What's she doing?" Annabeth demanded. "How did she get past the barriers?"

"She flew," One of the satyrs said, looking accusingly at Blackjack. "Right past the dragon, right through the magic boundaries."

"Rachel!" Percy called, but the satyrs stopped him when he tried to go any closer.