Jailbreak (Amazon version)

(i'm so sorry for the delay, i got caught up with school. Good news is today was my last final so i can go back to a more regular schedule. Hope you like the chapter!)

The second she stepped back on the boat, Ivy got back to her drawing.

Even though she had been mad when the memory about Annabeth at the library faded, it still gave her some hope.

Key word being some.

But at least she wasn't forgetting about her. She was remembering more. Even if it more didn't mean much, it was enough for her.

And she couldn't be sure if it was her imagination, but she even thought the picture of her face was even more clear now.

Plus, it also helped her avoid thinking about the whole Phineas situation. First, it had been that strange panic she got at the sight of him hurting the harpies, and then his comment about her mom.

She didn't understand anything (as usual), and it was seriously starting to affect her now. Her powers were out of control and her head felt more like a mess than usual.

She tried to think about the good. How she had helped Ella and even convinced her to get with them on the boat.

How they were getting closer to their goal (hopefully without dying by the end).

And most importantly, how she was closer to hopefully getting to see Annabeth. Just thinking about her was enough to calm her down. She liked it.

She stopped and looked at how the portrait was going. Her lips stretched for the first time since leaving Portland. She wasn't finished yet, but she was close. And it looked just like in Ivy's memories.

She knew Hazel and Frank were having a deep heart to heart in the other side of the boat, but she wasn't sure if she was supposed to listen. Especially when the girl started talking about her past.

"You were right," Hazel said, "when you guessed I came back from the Underworld. I'm. ..I'm an escapee. I shouldn't be alive."

Then the story flooded out, and Ivy drew and listened at the same time. She guessed Hazel knew her and Percy were listening, and if she had kept going then it meant she was okay with them doing so.

She explained how her mother had summoned Pluto and fallen in love with the god. She told them about her mother's wish for all the riches in the earth, and how that had turned into Hazel's curse, which finally explained the girl's panic every time anyone got close to touching one of her jewels.

She also described her life in New Orleans. She recounted the Voice, and how Gaea had slowly taken over her mother's mind. She explained how they had moved to Alaska, how Hazel had helped to raise the giant Alcyoneus, and how she had died, sinking the island into Resurrection Bay.

And all by the mere age of 13.

"You sacrificed yourself to stop the giant from waking. I could never be that brave." Frank told her when she was finished.

"It wasn't bravery. I let my mother die. I cooperated with Gaea too long. I almost let her win." Hazel argued. That made Ivy stop drawing and look up.

"But you didn't. You shouldn't blame yourself, Hazel, none of this is your fault," Ivy said.

She didn't like the girl beating herself up for something she couldn't control. She was barely even a teen, if anything she should've felt scared. But instead, she stood up to mother Earth and sank a giant.

Percy seemed to think the same. He looked at the girl. "Hazel, you stood up to a goddess all by yourself. You did the right..." His voice trailed off, as if he'd had an unpleasant thought. "What happened in the Underworld... I mean, after you died? You should've gone to Elysium. But if Nico brought you back—"