Chapter 1

*Alexi*

Ok so, here I am, at the foot of the stairs to the school, about to begin my junior year of high school. I can't believe I'm a junior already. It feels like I just started kindergarten yesterday, but in all reality I'm 16 and that actually was forever ago.

I begin to walk up the steps to the entrance when I'm tackled around my shoulder from behind.

"Yo yo yo, what's up bro, ya ready for this? Start of junior year, let's gooo!"

"Yes, yes, I'm so very excited,"I say sarcastically. This is Cassie, my one and only best friend. She has large hazel eyes, that make her look like a puppy, and she's about a foot taller than me, so about 6' 4 ". Currently her hair is shoulder length with bright green tips, accenting her naturally brown hair. Even though we don't even have that much in common, we have still been best friends since kindergarten.

"Ok, so can you please get your huge ass off me now?" I ask, trying to shove her off me. She grumbles a little but finally releases me from her grip.

"Whatever man, let's go!" she says, as she grabs my arm and drags me up the steps to the school. We walk in and are met with kids running all over the place, saying their hellos to old friends they missed over summer break.

"What locker number are you?" Cassie asks me with her puppy dog eyes.

"304, you?" I say.

"Yes! I'm 310! We're like right next to each other! Come on, come on, let's go!" she says and then she's dragging me around again.

We finally reach the hall of lockers and we quickly location our own, put in the code and put away all of the books that we don't need for the class we have next.

We already memorized each other's schedules last week so we already know that we both share the same first period math class.

"Ugggggh," Cassie says, "I really hate that we have math class first thing in the morning. This is going to suck ass"

"Yeah, I hate to agree with you, but you seem to be right. This will indeed suck a lot of ass" I say mockingly.

"Shut it, smart ass," she says, punching me in the arm playfully.

"Whatever, let's just get to class, I want to get good seats", and with that I begin walking down the hallway to the dreaded math class.

When we get to the classroom we sit in the corner closest to the whiteboard, because Cassie keeps insisting that she doesn't need glasses even though it's ridiculously obvious that she does.

We sit there for a while while we waited for the bell starting class to ring. Students walk in and take their seats, and a few of them say hi as they pass by. Just before the bell rings I can hear a group of loud jocks walking down the hall.

Please don't be in my class, I think to myself.

Unfortunately my wishes don't come true when two of the jocks break off from the group as they walk by the classroom. They say bye to their jock friends and walk into the classroom.

The first guy looks about 6 foot tall with dark skin and short curly hair, but it's the second one that my eyes are drawn to the most.

He's tall, like really tall, taller than Cassie tall. He's at least 6' 6" if not taller. His hair is short and a shade of deep brown, almost black, while his eyes are a reddish-brown mahogany color. His eyes meet mine and we stay like that for who knows how long. It's almost like the longer I stare into his eyes the more they shift from brown to red. Just then the teacher says from his desk,

"Cutting it close you two, now find a seat." I pull my gaze away realizing that I was staring.

The only seats that haven't been filled yet are the two behind me and Cassie, and that's exactly where the two sit. The taller one I was staring at sits directly behind me while the other sits behind Cassie. Because of the size of the classrooms, and the amount of students that need to fit in each class, the desks are very close together in all directions, so the two jocks and their chattering are right in my ear. 

"Yo, what's up guys?" Cassie says, turning behind her to face the two boys. Does she know them?, I wonder. 

"Hey Cass, ready for practice tonight?" the dark skinned boy asks.

"Hell yeah Jason, I've been so bored over summer I can't wait for b-ball tonight. What about you Cal? Ready from practice tonight, Mr. Captain of Varsity Basketball Since Sophomore Year?" That's right, this guy is Cal, the school's star basketball player. I knew I recognized him from somewhere. I turn my focus on him only to realize he's staring right at me. When he doesn't respond Jason asks,

"Hey man, are you alright?"

"Yeah," he says after a second or two, not taking his eyes off me, "I'm fine." We continue to stare at each other as Jason and Cassie keep talking. I don't know why but for some reason I'm very attracted to this boy. I mean, yes he's a hot guy and I'm, like, super gay but it's more than just thinking he's good looking. It's like my body is calling out for his touch, craving it.

Finally the bell rings and I'm forced to pry my eyes off him and face the teacher. Maybe this math class won't suck completely.